Virtualization Laptop Recommendations for running all Rockwell Software VMs

The Video out has nothing to do with laptop display. It depends on GPU and Ports. The port could be Thunderbolt, USB-C, HDMI.

Of course you are correct. The laptop display is the one that would be 4K while the external monitors resolution would be determined by what the video card supports. That said, as someone that uses two higher resolution external monitors, I can say it is frustrating that my laptop display itself does not support anything above 1080P. It makes trying to use all three displays difficult. I essentially gave up on using my laptop display along with the dual monitors.

OG

We are talking about the laptop screen. You still can drive 4k monitor with a 1080p laptop. It is the graphic cards that maters if you connect to other monitors. When you take a laptop to the plant or out door, reflection and brightness really mater.

Yes, we are talking about the laptop display. My comment was that I prefer the 4K laptop display.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

The 4k screen causes you to add the larger 6GB graphics card, which may be worth it because I plan on using USB-C to three monitors on my star-tech dock.

What is the SODIMM difference between "32 GB, 4 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz" and "32 GB, 2 x 16 GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, Non-ECC, SODIMM"?

I removed raid five because I can have my VMs backed up on a NAS at home. I just didn't what an SSD failure while in the field as they are more prone to failure? Below is a link to my configuration. However, who makes these gaming laptops that have a ton of ports? https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/precision-7760-workstation/spd/precision-17-7760-laptop/xctop776017us_vp?configurationid=50302666-9eb9-4971-8705-bf5536967acd

Thanks for all the recommendations!

The 4k screen causes you to add the larger 6GB graphics card, which may be worth it because I plan on using USB-C to three monitors on my star-tech dock.

What is the SODIMM difference between "32 GB, 4 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz" and "32 GB, 2 x 16 GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, Non-ECC, SODIMM"?

I removed raid five because I can have my VMs backed up on a NAS at home. I just didn't what an SSD failure while in the field as they are more prone to failure? Below is a link to my configuration. However, who makes these gaming laptops that have a ton of ports? https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/precision-7760-workstation/spd/precision-17-7760-laptop/xctop776017us_vp?configurationid=50302666-9eb9-4971-8705-bf5536967acd

I think the difference in RAM is just that the 4 x 8 maxes out how much memory you can have. 4 slots x 8GB per is using all four slots. With 2 x 16GB you still have two empty slots to add additional RAM in the future. I would most definitely prefer the 2 x 16GB.

OG

Last edited: