Lenze 93xx Drive PLC

Subsea7

Hi all, I now need to wrestle with a Lenze Servo Drive 93xx and the PLC within it.

I have Global Drive Control & Global Drive PLC Developer Studio and have to swap a burned out drive for a new one, it's almost 20 years old and I wonder if you can advise, can I pull the PLC project / code out of the drive PLC on the old unit (it still communicates but the I/O is blown for analogue inputs) or is that not possible?

Someone told me that on the Lenze Servo PLC drives, you cannot get the code back into the DDS software once compiled and loaded. I've asked the originator of the machine if they still have the full project (unlikely as it was 2005 vintage)

I can get all of the parameters via GDC but the PLC part only communicates over CANBUS and not the LECOM-AB so I have the correct cable and software now, awaiting the project from the OEM but if anyone knows how to upload (even just to pull out and squirt back in compiled state) then I'd be grateful.

I also know there was a device numbered EMZ2221IB which could do a pull & push of the PLC code just to clone a drive PLC but the gadget is like rocking horse poop.

AB/Rockwell is my normal thing among all the other makes we have to work on in Controls but Lenze Drive PLCs are a new beast for me.

GD Loader/Global Drive Loader software?

Dear All,
Not sure if reviving a topic that it is more than 1 year old is a good idea, but I'll try.

I have a similar issue that the OP described. I have a 933x-ETV907 Servo PLC drive that I need to replace, but it has a PLC program inside it, and I can't upload it. The information about EMZ2221IB device is very helpful! Even though it's expensive and hard to get, we are looking for a ways to buy it urgently.

But I wonder if there is a GD Loader software (or a sub-function of the GDC)? According to some older Lenze's GDC software manual (see attached screenshot), there was a program/function for transferring PLC program to (and maybe from?) the drive. Does anyone have any experience in this? This GD Loarder software seems hard to get these days as well.

Or if you happen to know any replacement for that GD Loader software that could do the same or better job, please kindly mention it here.

Thank you for any feedback you may provide.

AK5fa

Lenze-GDC-GettingStarted_manual-p40.png

I spoke to Lenze themselves, that adaptor is the only way to copy and replace the drive plc program. It's compiled so can't be edited but that adaptor can pull it to an SD card, then write it to a new drive.

Nothing else can touch it. They locked the PLC code after customer requests from big OEMs.

There is no way any software can do it. Straight from the manufacturer.

I spoke to Lenze themselves, that adaptor is the only way to copy and replace the drive plc program. It's compiled so can't be edited but that adaptor can pull it to an SD card, then write it to a new drive.

Nothing else can touch it. They locked the PLC code after customer requests from big OEMs.

There is no way any software can do it. Straight from the manufacturer.

Thank you very much for a quick and detailed reply! We'll try to get that EMZ2221IB adapter ASAP.

AK5fa

PS. I assume that everything said above would apply for both 93xx Drive PLC and 9300 Servo PLC as well. Would you agree wit that?

Last edited:
I'm sure it does as all Lenze PLC drives are the same according to Lenze, in that respect. I.e. you cannot edit the PLC code once compiled, nor extract it normally. You need the original project or the adaptor mentioned. That adaptor is getting rarer as it's now obsolete. Some used parts dealers still have one or two.

Also not all 93xx series drives have a PLC so be sure by part number that yours does, before trying to get at something which may not even be there. Some of mine did but others didn't.

Initially I was puzzled as to where a setpoint was coming from, so assuming it must be a drive PLC. Turns out some years ago someone else changed the scheme from the analogue input to getting it over X9/X10 in daisy chain fashion, which was not as per the drawings and not documented.

Last edited: