Linx icons

Andy1983

Hi,

This maybe a stupid question, but can someone explain why some processors appear as just a processor, and others look like they're part of a rack in linx (using SLC500s)?

as attached picture?

Thanks

Andy

Short answer:

Because that is the icon which Rockwell chose to use for that device in the RSLinx Hardware Database. The left most one is usually for PLC's which are of a brick type (Compact Logix series), that is the power supply, cpu and IO blocks are all in one unit but mildly expandable. Whereas the right of the two would be similar to a Control Logix where each component is separate and greatly expandable.

in BASIC terms ...

when you install RSLinx, it automatically installs a LOT of EDS (Electronic Data Sheet) files on your computer ... these sheets tell the RSLinx software how to communicate with each device ... also ... there is a separate directory of ICON files loaded onto your computer ... the little pictures that you see are dictated by those icon files (.ICO extensions) ...

so ...

again - in BASIC terms - when RSLinx "sees" a device - it tries to find a suitable EDS file for it ... IF (big IF) that part works, then the EDS file tells the computer what little picture to display for the device ...

eds_icons.PNG

Last edited:
This is also why devices that don't match a registered EDS are shown with a yellow question mark.

For the SLC-5/05, this is the Device section of the EDS. Note the SLC.ico icon filename.

Code:
[Device]
	VendCode = 1;
	VendName = "Allen-Bradley";
	ProdType = 14;
	ProdTypeStr = "PLC";
	ProdCode = 19;
	MajRev = 3;
	MinRev = 6;
	ProdName = "SLC-5/05";
	Catalog = "1747-L551 C";
	Icon = "SLC.ico";