Load Cell calibration

OK my opinion and experience with load cells was asked for.

I worked in a food processing faclity where we used load cells extensively. We had them on floor scales. We had them retrofit installed on machines (mixers and steam heated kettles) total load somewhere around 5 to 10,000 lb and batch weight was around 1,000. We also had them as factory original weighing integrated with conveyers - these weighed finished containers - less than one or two pounds.

All of our load cells read only to a display. Multiple cells (one on each leg of steam kettle or mixer) fed to a integrator (I guess you would call it that) which took each cell signal computed total reading and then sent that to a display. We did not have these tied into a PLC. Each display had a zero function where the reading could be rezeroed for actual conditions - this waas needed because things did change and the readout had to be rezeroed frequently.

Actual calibration was done by vendor using known weights.

The reason I mentioned attachments - When we adapted kettles we could not get one to calibrate. When we cut a bracket for the decking from the kettle it worked much better.

Our biggest problem with load cells was water. Equipment was constantly exposed to water and hosed down nightly (read that as drowned). Cells mounted near the floor were the most problematic - now is that not a surprise.

Cells were potted but water still got in. We believed water migrated thru or around the potting or thru the cable. We sealed the cell and cable for six inches back from cell - we used 3M 6100 (I think was number) and then ran cable thru plastic conduit. This effort seemed to reduce or resolve the problem. It did not reoccur from the time I dreamed up this solution to the time I left - approx six months.

For best results
1. Do not let supervisors near them.
2. Train the operators how to properly input data as their product changes.
3. Have a good step by step manual for maintenance showing button pushing sequence (I never was able to memorize the damn things and manuals were useless)
4. Do not let cells get wet.
5. Do not let the integrator boxes get wet.
6. Consider factory sealing as non existant.
7. Do not mount load cells near floor. WATER is on floor
8. Make sure the load the cell is measuring is able to free float and as much as you can take into account product left in fill and drain lines etc. This is where zero and tare buttons are handy.
9. If you want to tinker with the cells themselves get a good VOM that will read down to 0.1mV.
10. Run load cell cable in a plastic conduit. (that increases pallet jack mashing survivability from one to four or five)
11. IF you are satisfying QC requirements and government weighing regulations I recommend walking in at random once a week and handing operator a known weight standard different from one he uses and have him demonstrate abiltity to change machine settings within his authority.

I think load cells are a perfect solution to many problems / challenges. They appear to have good precison and good repeatability. They reduce handling and will payoff from reduced operator contamination and ergonomic considerations.

Dan Bentler

Thanks alot Dan; that info is spot on; exactly the type of practical advice on these instruments i was looking for. I'm going to use zero and tare buttons on the iconics scada screen.

2. Train the operators how to properly input data as their product changes.

I was surprised to read that statement. Operator intervention with a correct S.G. value is what needs to be done when volume or level is measured with head pressure and a correct level or volume requires specific gravity compensation. Different products, different S.G.'s.

I'm not clear on how different product would affect what is being weighed? Weight is weight, is it not?

Can you clarify, Dan?

The other Dan

Hi danw.

Yes Weight is Weight but when you use loadcell for tank level you most no the S.G to no the level in the tank,

Banker

That reccomendation comes from experience working in foods. We could run 3 or four different products on a line each day. Product SG and volume changed along with container size of course. This would also change the allowable product weight error. Depending on customer the QC values could also change.

One other tip I remembered. Give each operator their own password. I believe they will guard it more closely and I know some of the employees would never give it to a supervisor (see below). The other reason is for trackability. I dont give a damn about management and their accountability but I would do it to
find the employees who make the most mistakes
the reasons they make the mistakes
the causitive errors in machine design or programming and fix em.
If it is an employee issue you have to make a choice to disqualify em ie pull the password or do training.

My beef with supervisors is those that worship the Production God. They come in and start tweaking knobs or pushing button on the screen and get it all screwed up. I caught one doing it and told him
the employees told him to leave it alone
he better remember what he was doing
because he was on his own
I was not coming back to reprogram the scale unit when he screwed it up.
Had my boss reprogram it - that slowed the Art problem for a week.

Hugh - one more thing - I would check with Toledo or other outfits who do weighing instrument design and service for a living. These guys have forgotten more about the business than a lot of us will ever know. You may find it less expensive to buy a already built unit than try to do in house. The other advantage is they are documented back to govmt primary standards - buying their calibrated sticker will cost a few bucks but it saves you from having to set up a documented secondary standard setup and have that certified to a primary standard outfit. They are very sensitive instruments and therefore are very sensitive to a lot of shall we say environmental effects as a result but they beat hell out of having to weigh 10,000 items with a postage scale by hand.
I personally trust the Toledo guys.
Their drawings are good. I like their electrical installations - why they even number the terminal boards. Mechanical is good. From my one experience their factory 1-800 guy was fantastic.
Dan Bentler

Last edited: