Logix 5000 programming methods

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i know everyone has their own methods of programming, but i wanted to get some ideas.

we are about to get our first control logix plc within the next few months. no one other than myself has any dealings with them.

so for this project, i wanted to assign tags like the i/o of the plc its replacing. also i wanted to keep things as simple as possible so maintenance can get used to it. one of the things i want to require is that you program a rung like you are wiring it. dont have logic, then several outputs, more logic and so on.

what are some of the things you like to see in the programming?

i am trying to standardize on a programming method for the future projects here.

regards,
james

Hi all,

i know everyone has their own methods of programming, but i wanted to get some ideas.

we are about to get our first control logix plc within the next few months. no one other than myself has any dealings with them.

so for this project, i wanted to assign tags like the i/o of the plc its replacing. also i wanted to keep things as simple as possible so maintenance can get used to it. one of the things i want to require is that you program a rung like you are wiring it. dont have logic, then several outputs, more logic and so on.

i am trying to standardize on a programming method for the future projects here.

regards,
james

One way, use an alias to inputs and outputs that makes the PLC IO tags familiar for maintenance staff that use SLC or PLC5

ScreenHunter_02 May. 02 15.59.jpg

Hi all,

regards,
james

"i wanted to assign tags like the i/o of the plc its replacing."

You will not be able to address the I/O in the same way, the I/O addressing in Logix5000 is fixed, and embedded in the module tags that are automatically created when you put an I/O module into the configuration.

Having said that, if you really want to give these maintenance guys an easy* time you can create an alias tag (as already suggested).... example old address I:23/5 could become a new tag I_23_5. Now you gotta remember the old address was most likely symbolised... e.g. V123_OPEN, so to maintain this relationship, (because you can't do symbolic addressing in Logix5000) you might then decide to create a new tag V123_OPEN as an alias to I_23_5 (which is already an alias to the real I/O data location like Local:3:I.Data.14

Are we really making it easy for these guys doing it that way ? I don't think so, slapping in extra layers of aliasing is just gonna confuse the heck out of some people....

For me, I would forget the meaningless old-style I/O addressing (unless of course you are retaining the old legacy I/O), and go straight for the V123_OPEN alias tag for Local:3:I.Data.14

You might need to sit them down for an hour while you explain how Logix5000 I/O tags actually work, then introduce the concept of Alias tags, and how having a tag-name that actually relates to the plant, and not the PLC I/O system, makes the code more readable - especially if they find themselves (as maintenance people invariably do) having to go online without an up-to-date offline file.

Logix5000 is still "something new" to a lot of people, even though it has been around for well over 10 years. Isn't it time some people realised that we can't keep them entertained with 20 to 30-year old technology, life has to move on, and they must move on with it ?

To be frank, there's a lot more they need to know about Logix5000 than the I/O addressing....

thanks for the replies,

i understand that the new base i/o tags will be different.
i'm looking on ways to make it easier for the transition.

at this point i don't know if we will keep the traditional we have, or start new. there are a lot of plc's to change over.

thanks again,
james

James,
I found myself in the same position not long ago. I was changing out a ML1200 with a Compactlogix. I pulled up RSL500 and 5000 on the two different monitors I have. I tried to do exactly what you are looking to do. After about 20 minutes I gave up and just went with tag names that were close to the symbols I had in the 500. It just makes more sense to use tags that have "real world" names.

Once you guys see how much more intuitive the 5000 is they will have no problem at all. I wish I had switched sooner.

I haven't settled on programming style yet. Here is what I decided I will do: Alias all my physical I/O and use arrays for one shots, timers and some bits (alarms). The rest is still evolving.

Good luck.

thanks for the replies,

i understand that the new base i/o tags will be different.
i'm looking on ways to make it easier for the transition.

at this point i don't know if we will keep the traditional we have, or start new. there are a lot of plc's to change over.

thanks again,
james

Start new, with a clean slate. Take advantage of the capabilities of the new platform. Especially if the systems you are replacing have similar functionality; then you can try to write reusable routines that can just be dropped into other programs.

Another simple organizational tool that is great with the Logix platforms is the ability to have a ton of program tasks. I typically divide the machine into group tasks with individual tasks under them...

Example:

Code:
MainTask
   Payoffs
      MainRoutine
      _001_Utility
      _005_BufferInputs
      _010_PO1_Logic
      _015_PO1_Analog
      _020_PO2_Logic
      _025_PO2_Analog
      _999_TransferOutputs
   Coaters
      MainRoutine
      _001_Utility
      _005_BufferInputs
      _010_CoaterLogic

thanks for your input.

i agree with what you are saying, but we have around 50 electricians and 15 laptops for them to use.

getting everyone on the same page and tag name will be a chore.

not to mention buying copies of the software for everyone.

regards,
james

thanks for your input.

i agree with what you are saying, but we have around 50 electricians and 15 laptops for them to use.

getting everyone on the same page and tag name will be a chore.

not to mention buying copies of the software for everyone.

regards,
james

The software can be downloaded and installed for free - it's the licensing that costs the money.

If they are in a networked environment you could put xx licenses on a server, then set-up FactoryTalk Activation to get a license from the server when it starts up. You will need to determine the maximum number of technicians who will want to run the software concurrently.

Alternatively, use dongle activation, and buy xx dongles...

"i wanted to assign tags like the i/o of the plc its replacing."

You will not be able to address the I/O in the same way, the I/O addressing in Logix5000 is fixed, and embedded in the module tags that are automatically created when you put an I/O module into the configuration.

Having said that, if you really want to give these maintenance guys an easy* time you can create an alias tag (as already suggested).... example old address I:23/5 could become a new tag I_23_5. Now you gotta remember the old address was most likely symbolised... e.g. V123_OPEN, so to maintain this relationship, (because you can't do symbolic addressing in Logix5000) you might then decide to create a new tag V123_OPEN as an alias to I_23_5 (which is already an alias to the real I/O data location like Local:3:I.Data.14

Are we really making it easy for these guys doing it that way ? I don't think so, slapping in extra layers of aliasing is just gonna confuse the heck out of some people....

For me, I would forget the meaningless old-style I/O addressing (unless of course you are retaining the old legacy I/O), and go straight for the V123_OPEN alias tag for Local:3:I.Data.14

You might need to sit them down for an hour while you explain how Logix5000 I/O tags actually work, then introduce the concept of Alias tags, and how having a tag-name that actually relates to the plant, and not the PLC I/O system, makes the code more readable - especially if they find themselves (as maintenance people invariably do) having to go online without an up-to-date offline file.

Logix5000 is still "something new" to a lot of people, even though it has been around for well over 10 years. Isn't it time some people realised that we can't keep them entertained with 20 to 30-year old technology, life has to move on, and they must move on with it ?

To be frank, there's a lot more they need to know about Logix5000 than the I/O addressing....

Daba

The OP may not want to do Alias of Alias because of this issue http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=62723&highlight=alias

Still exists in V20. Have not tried it in V21 yet.