Logixpro silo fill light wont work

zatherith

I have been working on this since yesterday. I have some college technical training and I am trying to teach myself plc's for work. I have become stumped on this problem, I cannot get the silo simulation fill light to work. The rest of the program seems to run fine, just the fill light never lights up unless I hit the stop button. Anyone have any solutions?

plc silo project.jpg

Last edited:
does the screen shot that you've posted show ALL (I repeat: ALL) of your program? ...

if it does, then your program calls for the FILL lamp to be ON whenever your Run lamp is OFF ...

(by the way, that's probably a pretty big hint) ...

DISCLAIMER: it's almost impossible to read the screen shot at this resolution ... my tired old eyes might not be picking up everything ...

suggestion: attach your RSL program file to this thread and let us take a look at it ... we'll be glad to help ... (you'll have to ZIP the file first – forum rule) ...

and welcome to the forum ...

PS EDIT: the "unless I hit the stop button" modification that you just made to your original post should give you a hint ...

Last edited:
the file opens OK in LogixPro ... the screen shot DOES show ALL of your program ... (hint: you don't have to worry about "double-coils" at this point of the game) ...

the information I provided in my first post should be enough of a hint to get you going ...

but ...

if you need more help than that, I suggest that you go through the following line of reasoning ...

Step (1) ... first ask yourself, IN ENGLISH (not programming) the following question:

"WHEN do I want the Fill Lamp to be ON?" ...

Step (2) ... then answer the question, IN ENGLISH (not programming) something like this:

"I want the Fill Lamp to be ON when – blah – blah – blah" ...

once you've defined the operation IN ENGLISH, then (and ONLY then) are you ready to start TRANSLATING the English definition into a programming language ...

apply what you know about ladder logic to rung number 001 in your program ...

if this approach doesn't work, post the results of Step (1) and Step (2) here on the forum and we'll help you work it out ...

Well I would say that I would want the fill light to come on when the solenoid started to fill the box. I added an output energize o:2/3 to the same rung as the solenoid and now when the solenoid comes on the fill light comes on as well. I thought the first rung was suppose to turn on the fill light and turn off the run light when the solenoid was on but it doesn't seem to do anything. guess its working now though.

Ask yourself
OK - when the run contact is energised what will happen in ladder rung 001
Also wouldnt a 'Fill' light be used in a different rung

As Ron is suggesting - read the logic in english

rung 001 = 'when X de-energises then Y Energises'

Thanks for the help, I'm fairly new to this stuff and frankly really frustrated with this one. Maybe if I had the answer I could see were my problem is and understand better what your talking about.

One has to have patience when working with PLCs. Keep plugging away at it, and things will start to make sense. When something just won't make sense, post your specific question here, and someone will help you out

You can't go wrong by going through Ron Beaufort's Video lessons here.

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/sample_lessons.htm

Stu....

do you want the run light to be on when the motor and solonoid is running? write out what happens when you push the start button.
ex. push start, if level is off and photoeye is off then turn on motor, solonoid, fill and run lights
When full turn off etc....
that'll help me at least I don't know how a silo works internally but I imagine there isn't much to it.

edit* also waht lights come on with which mechanical devices? Do fill light and solonoid always come on together? if so set them conditional together.
--(SOLONIOD)-----------
| |
|--( light)--|

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I'm fairly new to this stuff and frankly really frustrated with this one. Maybe if I had the answer I could see were my problem is and understand better what your talking about.

Your Problem is rung 001 - the logic is inverse.
and there is no fill contact to bring on the fill light
That is what we are saying - the answer