Looking for a block PLC with analog input

Most voltage ranges are limited, due to the coil voltage of the relays being used within the PLC. It wouldn't be as much of an issue on the upper end, but rather the lower end of the range in that the voltage drop for components like the relay and LED are subtracted from the voltage supply.

For instance, on our board there is a 1.5 volt drop across the LED and a minor drop across the relay. For a 24 volt system, we use a 24 volt coil relay which allows us to operate down to approximately 21 volts. On the maximum side, it isn't an issue with pulling in the armature of the relay, but with "frying" it.

With regards to scan time, in many PLCs, it is dependent upon the length of program. I know some of the more sophisticated controllers will allow you to determine what gets scanned and when. We aren't as slick. To improve scan rate, we offer jump if zero of functions whereby you can bypass a conditioned portion of code if it isn't in use.

Smart-PAK PLUS scan rate is 15ms/K, therefore a scan rate of 5 ms would require a compiled program size of 1/3. Number of rungs will depend on complexity, but I would say some where in the neighborhood of 100 to 150 rungs.

The analog chip within the Smart-PAK PLUS offers a 50KHz sample rate, but the update to the plc register is once ever scan. The resolution is 12 bit.

The idle current of 200 mA should be sufficient for the "combo board and main board. However, if the analog only board of the Smart-PAK PLUS is used it might require additional current in that it incorporates a switching power supply.

Ron's observations were good in terms of the Elite-2000 in that it can operate at a much wider voltage range and offers the 5 ms scan rate, but the analog board uses a triple output transformer for three different rail voltages, thus it would not be appropriate for a DC application.

With regards to the negative temperature range, will the application require a cold start or will it always be powered? If always powered, I would suggest a well insulated enclosure to retain the heat generated from the components. The main issue will be when you have to start when the temperature is below 0 C. Many of our customers incorporate a small heater or light bulb and "cheap" thermostat. Our standard operating temperater is 0-60C. A majority of the components are rated at industrial ranges of -40 to 85C. The only components that are not rated below zero are the processor, regulator, BBRam and EPROM. We can upgrade to a complete industrial temp board, but the lead times on these components have been terrible due to the whole RoHS transition.

It may come down to ordering a few different units and trying them in your application...especially if your requirements are critical.

Hope this helps,

God Bless,

PS...Ron, thanks for the props.

I am going to try Pico. It works at -25C degree, 20.4V to 28.8VDC, and small power consumption. The scan time would be 7 ms including A/D converting time. It is not big. I will buy one and set up a test to verify the timing.

The biggest problem of other PLCs is the operating temperature. They cannot operate at -20C degree. Thank you again.

bowang said:
The biggest problem of other PLCs is the operating temperature. They cannot operate at -20C degree. Thank you again.

FYI The SCADAPack operates down to a -40C ( no I don't work for them, just like there product)

Mickey,

I did not check SCADAPack carefully. Now I know it is a very nice one. But before I call Ottowa next Tuesday, can you tell me roughly how much the basic one is? It is not only a PLC, it is a RTU. I am working for medium voltage switchgear industry. This is something like we used for SCADA. I am afraid that it may be too expensive.

I just got a price list today, to big to post here.(1.8megs)
But they range from $1100 to $3000 for controllers and $860 for software.

Thank you Mickey. I would not say they are expensive for the features they have. But they are expensive for a portable controller. I have to review it with our sales comparing Pico (Canadian $350). -40C degree is very attractive. I ordered the Pico already yesterday. I will try to hold this order on Tuesday morning.

Let me explain a little bit more about this application, since a lot of people have got involved this project. I hope I have somebody like your guys in my office that I can talk about the project. This portable controller will be used for 24VDC linear motor operators on switchgears in the field. There are basically three kinds of switch mechanisms to operate. We need to select the approperate type of switch on the controller, then connect the motor cable, switch status cable, and trip signal cable if the switch is a fault interrupter. The controller should be able to operate it. It may be used in the emergency situation when AC power is gone, or original switch controller does not function properly. Or the swich was a manual switch with motor operation provisions. Normally the batteries are tickle charged. Then it will be brought to the field to operate switches using the batteries only. For one old configuration, we do not have positive switch status, we have to monitor the motor current to determine the switch mechanism throwing to open or closed position. We have many installations like that. So this universal portable controller must be able monitor motor current for this situation, and monitor the battery voltage to tell the if the batteries are OK or now. So you see, we have to stay with 24VDC +/-15% at least, -25C degree at least. To able to stop the motor for the current sensing application in time, I have to make sure the scan time and A/D is fast enough. I think it will the first thing I need test. The rest of the logic will be very simple.

Everybody, both in Canada and US, have a nice long weekend!

Anybody has experience with Z-Word single board computers with Rabbit processor? Like the new one BL2030?

I have a 2001 catalog at home with PE2300 and PE2500. They look good. But when I went to their website, they are not listed anymore. The latest one BL20XX is the closer one I can use. It is rated 9V to 40V, -40C to +70C. It has low power consumption, of course very fast A/D, and program using a special C (I have to learn a little bit more), so I do not need to worry about response speed. The cost is good as well. 5 years ago, I brought a basic Jackrabbit core development kit in a very low price, and played with the demo. I like it but have not got a chance to use it.

Like to know your experiece with this family controller (specially BL20XX). And do they support their legacy products after 5 years or even longer?