Looking for a substitute application for TeamViewer.

Anthonyri

Hello!
I'm looking for a recommendation for an application to connect to a remote computer. I need an alternative to TeamViewer. I'm trying to connect to my work computer, but TeamViewer isn't cooperating. I keep getting a timeout message.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There are several options. If you're using Windows, there's the built-in Windows Remote Desktop. It's integrated into the operating system, so you won't need to install additional applications. However, setting it up can be more complex compared to some other tools, and it's exclusive to Windows.
Alternatively, you can check out the new https://www.helpwire.app/ it's free and quite user-friendly.
Other options to consider are Splashtop and AnyDesk.

Is your 'work computer' one you logon to a corporate domain?

If so, you may want to contact your IT department. We have a version that is configured specifically for our company's network. All other versions including the free download will not work.

Most companies have become very strict with remote access in recent years.

I use Chrome Remote Desktop almost every day to connect to my work computer from home.

For other computers, I regularly use RealVNC Cloud Connect, because of the brokered connection that I don't need to set up routers or VPNs to use.

And I use Windows Remote Desktop (and SSH, for headless stuff) through ZeroTier virtual network tunnels all the time.

Some or all of those could be blocked by my IT department if they wanted to do so. Our latest cyber security training module felt like it was highlighting all the things I do routinely that could be security risks.

At least it prompted me to go change all the administrative users and administrative TCP ports on my various devices to non-defaults, and to improve all my passwords to 32-character random strings.

If your IT department has shut off access to things you need, I recommend talking to them to see if there's an alternative they can approve of, or if there are versions/patches or degrees of encryption and security with TeamViewer that will work.

In the world of IT, Dameware is the most sophisticated where its software does not to be pre-installed on the remote PC.

Hello!
I'm looking for a recommendation for an application to connect to a remote computer. I need an alternative to TeamViewer. I'm trying to connect to my work computer, but TeamViewer isn't cooperating. I keep getting a timeout message.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have been using TeamViewer for years now without any problems, so I am surprised by your post. My company uses the licensed version, not the free version.
If you need a free of charge solution Softethernet is realively easy to setup.

I'm trying to connect to my work computer, but TeamViewer isn't cooperating.
I have been using TeamViewer for years now without any problems, so I am surprised by your post.
Same here. Rather than jump ship I would investigate what is the problem. If IT is blocking Teamviewer, they will surely block anything else you come up with.

I've used LogMeIn before, back when the free version was legal to use for single PCs. They then went to a pretty pricey licensing subscription (like hundreds per user per year) and our IT stopped letting us. They used DameWare, so they let us get licenses and permissions to use it as well. As I recall, we had to install a client on both PCs but I could be misremembering that. It's been years.
Right now, all I have access to is the Remote Desktop built into Windows. Thankfully, I haven't needed anything more than that here (so far).