Looking for somebody in Toronto for programming a DL105

bo

B
Looking for somebody in Toronto GTA area who would like to come in and do a small programmming project for a DL105. Please contact me by [email protected] in Mississauga. Tell me the rate you charge. I will send the control requirement to you.

Call Franklin Empire at (416) 248-0176
They are major distributor of AD products
(located near 427 & Dixon Rd).
They should be able to give you some contact names.

Eric, don't you like come in (401 and Mississauga road) at your vacation for extra cash?

The story is that we had somebody here who designed built the mechanical parts and the controller for two welding heads, which automatically rotate to weld 3" OD bushings. Everything seems done. But it does not have some basic functions like jogging with welding gun on, weld overlapping at the beginning, and reset home location. He left us already. This is why we have to rewrite the logic (I believe it is easy to modify his logic). Because anything is installed here already, we really need somebody to come in to program the logic. Yes, I have DirecSoft with me. I have some experiences to program DL05, 06 and 105. But I do not have time in this couple of months to do it. Waiting for somebody in Toronto GTA to help us.

I'd love to give it a shot, but this is probably where that clause "conflict of business interest" at my company kicks in.

If you are really in a bind, let me know and I may be able to help on the Q.T. (not sure what that means, but it sounds appropriate).

Sounds like Elevmike is interested...C'mon up Mike, it's only a 3-1/2 hr drive from Motown and our drugs (prescription that is) are cheap!!!!

-Mike

Actually I've been talking to Bo (via email). Initially I was hoping to just help with the code and download via modem, but he really wants somebody on site. He's probably right about that. Seeing it work might be much better.

Bo took the time to carefully lay out a 12 step sequence of events type of discription of how the system is supposed to work. Actually he's got two seperate production units that are setup to operate from one DL130DR.

The current configuration uses all of the 130s I/O. Additionally the welding head is mounted on a swing arm that is to travel in both directions, however it does not allow for the use of a quadature encoder so you get no direction feed back (just a single pulse train). Additionally there is no accomidation for automatic homing. So the operator must set the initial swing-arm position by jogging the unit, then pressing the run button, which will reset the counter and start the unit to welding.

The project is actually rather simple, (possably less then 400 instructions), but I think it would be better served by seperating the two welders to operate from two PLCs. This would allow for quadatrue counting, automatic homing, less operator intervention, future expansion and so on.. Additionally one PLC failure wont result in the loss of production of two welders.

So I'm working on Bo to make a few hardware changes. Even if I cant do that I still might be up for taking a long weekend train ride, do a little programming for Bo, and enjoying the sites, fine dining etc.. with my leading lady.

Mike.

elevmike said:
So I'm working on Bo to make a few hardware changes.

My first hardware change would be to swap out the DL-105 for a DL-06! The 105 series seems to be the black sheep of the family. We tend to hear about the 105's failing more often than its kinfolk. I know I've had a few go myself (and I didn't use very many).

I would be even more concerned since it lives near welding equipment... utoh

beerchug

-Eric

Yea I've already suggested that too, Eric. The thing is the machine is already built, and ready to fly (except the programming). It seems Bo's looking for a quick resolution, and re-doing the hardware at this point might seem undesireable.

I've already done some of the code and tested it, so it's do-able under the current configuration, but if I were starting from scratch I would have taken a very different approach. The ONE nice thing about a DL105 is the aux 24vdc power supply. But anyone who's installed a few dozen 105s knows to keep a spare on the shelf.

Just talked to Mike. I really appreciate his imformative suggestions. But we had a meeting last Friday. My boss decided to program it in house to reduce the time and cost. Basically I have to do it. My daily projects are killing me. So I wrote the ladders last weekend at home. Even I do not like some of the ladders I just wrote. I may need change to use stages for Welding/Pause/Stop modes to make the logic nice and clean. Anyway I will try to load it to the PLC tomorrow or Wednesday to test it. It will be around 400 instructions (just like Mike said, amazing!).

The proposal I have now it to run two guns on two welding heads from one welding machine. While one gun is welding, the operator can set up, inspect or clear another one.

I am going to request a spare DL105 and load the program just for in case.

Anyway, thank you for your time, Mike, Eric and mpiotro.

Bo

Bo, If you run into any snags or have any questions, please feel free to post your code on the forum and ask away. To post yuur code all you have to do is zip the program files into one zip file, then attach it using the "browse" button underneath the "Reply" window.

I for one, and many others, will be glad to help as best we can...
Good luck with it.

Mike.

So how about it Bo? How did things turn out?

Usually no news is good news. I hope that's the case, but either way I'd be intrested in the results.

Regards, Mike.

Mike,

Now the PLC is up running now. I programmed for bi-directional welding first. Later we found counterclockwise welding is not as good as clockwise welding in the current setup (reason: welding gun tilt angle). I had to change the logic to let it weld in clockwise then after welding return to start point. Another designer in our department will add cover, handle and something to attach the cables and hoses. Then the welding head will start to use for production. I am still think I need change the setup for the welding gun so it should be able to weld in both directions to save some time. But not now. My logic support both bi-directional and single directional welding, which is controlled by one bit at first scan. Anyway the logic is acceptable now. Thank you again.

Bo