LookoutDirect how to lookup text in an Excel file

I Have an Excel file with 200 rows. The first column has the Item Number and the second column has the Description.

I need to do a lookup based on the Item number found inside a PLC variable and bring only the corresponding Description column to LookoutDirect.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this?

Thanks

I've done a little LKD programming and I think I'd start with a data table object (two dimensional) and a POT object. My memory's not fresh on this but, I believe you'll need to read the Excel file into LKD to get started.

Devise some means to step through the data table using the POT object as the row index. Read the item number at each row to check for a match with your search argument. When a match is found, read the corresponding description field into a text object. The data table addressing takes a little getting used to but it's not too bad, really.

What I've described is a straight sequential search - simple, but about the most inefficient way to go that there is. If speed is important and your file is sorted (IIRC, there is a sort function available in LKD) and you're clever with LKD, you could work up a binary (or other) search algorithm to speed things up.

You could also post your question at the AD website, or call them. National Instruments, the maker of Lookout also has a forum for the product. Just don't mention that you're using the 'Direct' version, I've found this decreases the helpfulness factor.