Losing connection to TwinCAT in Visual Studio

Hi,

I have an odd problem that consumes a lot of precious time. I will often lose contact with the TwinCAT System Service, and be completely unable to control the soft PLC.

After setting TwinCAT to config mode, downloading my new code and logging on to run, the fans of my PC spin up and I can't stop the PLC process.
See the screenshots below, where the alternatives are greyed out.

Are there any way to stop such a runaway process? The only thing that seems to work is rebooting the PC.. Right clicking on the TwinCAT UI and trying to set it to Start/Stop or Config does nothing at all. It should be noted that the UI icon is green, while the icon in Visual Studio is red.

I had exactly similar problem while ago. Problem disappeared when I updated my laptop network card driver.