Lost my RSLogix Software CD and Key???

mike64b

Hi, so I've got RsLogix Micro starter edition installed on my computer and licensed but I discovered that I lost the cd and box that had the license number. Is it possible to extract the license number from my current installation so I can save it?

Additionally can I download the rslogix installer in full from the allen bradley website or do I need to order a new cd?

Thanks,
Michael

Was it Factory Talk Actvation?

You don't need a new CD because the full installation files can be downloaded, but a serial number might be useful if you ever have activation problems, and may be required to download the software via the web for certain editions.

I would use the online help (chat) for activation issues. Especially if you have a techconnect contract. They can reference your software with you logged in and by you telling them the name of the original registrant, and do the grunt work for you when converting licenses. A little while back, I was able to ask the guy about switching two licenses from the old Master Disk based EVRSI type to a concurrent (server based) Factory Talk Activation license. I just wanted information about how to get it done, and he took a few minutes and just did it for me, then gave me the info to host the new licenses to my server. The nice thing was, while waiting, I was able to work on other things...not tied to a phone.

Last edited:
Yeah it was through factory talk, and i can open that up and get the serial # for the activation. So if I wanted to deactivate it on this computer and install on another I should just talk the online help? (I don't think I have a support contract or anything like that so I'm not sure if that will be ok)

thanks

So if I wanted to deactivate it on this computer and install on another I should just talk the online help? (I don't think I have a support contract or anything like that so I'm not sure if that will be ok)

thanks

You can move the license to another machine all by yourself, but it takes a few steps. The online help has instructions you should find and follow.

It's called re-hosting, and they limit how many times per year it can be done. I think it is 3 or 5 or some number like that per license.

Generalizing from memory:
You get a rehost ID Code from the Factory Talk Activation software on the running machine with the license, then log into the website to post (paste) that code, along with a new host id generated by the same software on the new machine...the last time I did a rehost about 8 months ago, I got to going in circles for a few minutes on the web, I had misunderstood one of the steps, but it was relatively painless.

Last edited:
OkiePC has it right about re-hosting. I have found one hang-up, though. The Factory Talk Activation Manager has some functionality that looks like it should work to re-host (or get new) activations, but it has never worked for me. If I remember correctly, it gave some sort of proxy server error. The website works fine, though (click here, probably requires a login)

Thanks for the tips guys. I do have another question now.

The reason I am trying to move my license is because I developed a program for a client using software they purchased for me, but now that they have the project I think they will probably need the software in order to perform maintenance on it. Unfortunately I'm located somewhat far away from them and this was my only rslogix license...

So, is there anyway to develop the ladder logic program with a free version of rslogix (in the case they need me to make a change to the program and e-mail it to them) ? Or would that require me to purchase a license for myself?

Aw yes unfortunately, the ML1100 sounds better indeed but I've written and been working with 1200 for over a year now so I think its a little too late :(

I'm guessing the micro starter edition is the cheapest software to purchase?