Magelis - I can't stands no more!

I don't see how bandwidth should be a problem in this case. The units are MP277 (mobile pendant 277) and they are on ProfiNet (4 nodes - CPU, HMI, 2x IM151-3 for ET200S I/O) or in case of ProfiBus, it's 12mbps and HMI is TP177B (only three nodes - CPU, HMI, 1xCU320). The way I see it, looks like any other HMI on RS232 running on 9600 or 19.2kbps.
Just to be clear, the Mobile Panel 277 is based on OP277, not MP277.

I only have experience with simple ethernet, not in combination with Profinet IO. With that I have only good experience. And the MP277 is to my opinion quite snappy. Changing screens is practically instant as opposed to OP177 or OP277.

For PN with PN IO. I can imagine that the bottleneck is the CPU or CP. For the PN CPUs, the CPU has to exchange the data as part of its normal cycle. So a combination of a large program and some PN IO, the performance will be penalised. In particular with the smaller 315-2PN/DP.
If a CP343-1 is used, then the explanation is the slow backplane bus of 187.5k.

edit: In your example with TP177B on Profibus, then it helps that the Profibus is fast, but it does not help that the x177 range of panels are generally very slow.

One can specify the refresh time for each tag (100ms, 1sec, etc.) but 100ms is pushing it even for few tags.
100ms must be used very sparingly.

Last edited:
I have been forced to work w/ the Magelis HMI for the past three years.

The bugs in the development environment and runtime keep getting worse and worse.

I need to explore another avenue.

The most important features that I need are ...

1. Web Gate - remote viewing of hmi through internet browser.

2. Modbus TCP/IP communication to M340 plc

3. $1500 or less tft touchscreen, flash memory

I too am interested in getting the Web Gate going. I am on a job where our bone head sales guy left a 'grey area' clause in our proposal that left the customer with the impression they can remotely connect to their system.

The Vijeo documentation is very sparse, and states rather than explain. I cannot figure out if by placing a CF card into the XBTGT5330, the Web Gate utility will reside on the CF card to enable web hosting.

I too am interested in getting the Web Gate going. I am on a job where our bone head sales guy left a 'grey area' clause in our proposal that left the customer with the impression they can remotely connect to their system.

"Gray Area" = Salesman was clueless on what he was selling.

This area causes delays, anger and the "Are you stupid look" from customers.

Salesmen live in the "Gray Area" and no amount of explaining will ever get them out of it.

web gate

The Vijeo documentation is very sparse, and states rather than explain. I cannot figure out if by placing a CF card into the XBTGT5330, the Web Gate utility will reside on the CF card to enable web hosting.

Yes, you must have a cf card installed to use the web gate functionality. I find that Sandisk, Kensington off the shelf 1 gig or 2 gig cards work just fine.

You must configure every tag that you want displayed on the web gate for data sharing. You can select multiple tags at a time in the tag editor to facilitate this, as long as they are the same type.

The screens themselves also need to be set to shared. This can be done as a whole by selecting publish all (i believe).

Next, if you are connecting outside of the local lan, i.e. from home, you need to open up ports 80 and 6000 (default). I change the port from 80 to something else so as to not conflict w/ other apps that need port 80.

Having the correct gateway address is also very important in the magelis.

additionally.....

Favorite configuration is to have a separate static ip address just for the screen (plc control network). This facilitates remote access and keeps normal office network **** off of the control network. For example, OTB and STB modules don't auto address if there is a DHCP server on the network other than the plc.

A router behind router configuration has worked for me as well. As long as you don't use a DLINK router. I find that the linksys and netgear routers work just fine for passing on the port forwarding from the IsP's router.

Sometimes I have had to turn off NAT filtering on the netgear or linksys that I installed for this purpose.

After you get it working, a road of pain awaits you.

You will most likely have to re-write a lot of your scripts as you discover that they fail to operate correctly over the webgate.

If your lucky, you will get to skip over the headaches caused by any web gate functionality before version 4.6 patch D. Save yourself tons of headaches by upgrading to 4.6 patch d if you haven't already.

I have had a chance to play w/ beta 5.0.

Wow is that some cr@p.

Oh, and for all of you that reply by saying ....

I like Magelis and don't have any problems.

Than my reply to you is....

Ok, I must be wrong then. This blood oozing from my side with the rusty knife sticking in it must just be a figment of my immagination. All this pain I have experience over the past 3 years working w/ this software didn't happen.

I recant my original post. I will immediately throw away everything that I have learned. I will change my story to "I love Magelis" based off of your opinion provided with absolutely no supporting evidence. Because that is the way I roll.

Oh, and the government didn't Gene Dope Michael Phelps because someone said they didn't.

Here I thought the huge calorie intake was from the gene doping. - just munchies?

Oh, and for all of you that reply by saying ....

I like Magelis and don't have any problems.

Than my reply to you is....

Ok, I must be wrong then. This blood oozing from my side with the rusty knife sticking in it must just be a figment of my immagination. All this pain I have experience over the past 3 years working w/ this software didn't happen.

I recant my original post. I will immediately throw away everything that I have learned. I will change my story to "I love Magelis" based off of your opinion provided with absolutely no supporting evidence. Because that is the way I roll.

Oh, and the government didn't Gene Dope Michael Phelps because someone said they didn't.

Here I thought the huge calorie intake was from the gene doping. - just munchies?

Great!!!

Thanks for the info

Magellis are rebranded Proface screens but the software to program them are entirely different, way more features in GP Pro EX v2.2

Proface

GP Viewer lets you pull up exactly what is on the screen on your computer. The software you use on your computer is free but you have to buy a license for each HMI. You can look at screens different from the operator or you can take control and change the screens the operator would be seeing. I don't know how this compares to the webgate. The AGP's also come with a webserver and FTP and can connect to dang near anything.

Loving or hating the Magelis HMI,
must be something like garlic....
At the moment I'm working on a display XBTGT1335 wich is provided by Schneider to see if this HMI can/will be the replacement we were looking for.
I like the feel of Vijeo although it jams sometimes and the help is on some items a bit skinny. Creating animated feedback is awsome....
There is something I don't understand completly, the scripting.
Can anyone give some pointers on how to use boolean as input and output? Are there any examples to download somewhere??

thnx Carol

I don't remember exactly how, but you have to load your descrete variable into a bool variable first, and then do what you want to do with it. After you're done you write it back into a descrete variable.

It's all in the help file.