Magelis XBTF....

NedAus

Being fairly new to the PLC world this may sound like funny question, but I was wondered is it possible to use Magelis HMI screen, which is connected to Modicon PLC via unitelway cable to control PLC. The screen would have PCMCIA memory card loaded with program. The reason for this is I don't have a Citect licence to run on my PC(smallest package cost $AU 2340 for 75 point). If anyone has any solutions for this problem could u pls let me know.

The Magelis is an operator interface not a controller. But, if you mean can an HMI set and reset/turn on and off internal bits inside the controller, the answer is yes.

The Magelis acts in a similar manner to Citect allowing the operator to control and monitor the process of the PLC.
One thing that Citect has over the Magelis, and similar HMI systems, is that Citect allows you to log alarms and trends, and to save these to files readable from other programs such as Excel. Unless Magelis has been upgraded in the last few years, it would lack this feature.

Don't need trends at all. Setin'up PLC operated home brewery:beer: (just a small one). So I've just about got what I need for it hardware wise. The only thing I'm missing is memory card for Magelis which is $408 at market:eek: .

Don't buy a memory card from Magelis - way overpriced. Any memory card of a suitable size will work. Get these for a fraction of the price, have a look around on the net.