Market for small PLC jobs?

I'm not a contractor but have a couple friends that are pretty much doing what you want to do. But the only companies they do any work for, is companies where they either know the owner or they used to work at that company full time. So in my opinion you may want to reach out to old companies where you used to work, old coworkers, salespeople etc that you knew when you were in the controls field. See if any of them have opportunities. Personal contacts seem to be the best way to find this type of work, I've never heard of a contactor being hired based on ads or LinkedIn. Hope this helps.

Also be prepared for the small companies being VERY slow in paying you, one of my friends is now looking into legal options because of never getting paid for some work he did.

Last edited:
I really can't say clear enough, you are at risk. You need to be careful and/or review with them. This is your business, you can't run the risk of not having insurance. I was with Hiscox for awhile, then found out (not in a hard way, but still aggravating non the less) they don't actually cover system integration. It was a hard lesson in insurance. Had to fight to get premiums refunded and etc. If I would have been sued, I would not have been covered - end of story. I'm very thankful nothing ever came up.

Ended up though with a broker out of Arizona who actually speaks control systems and system integration (a quick google and I'm sure you'll find Geri). We are with Lloyds of London now as well. General liability isn't the big one. Errors and Omissions is where you pay out the wazzu.

Anyway for what its worth.

What were the specifics that triggered the scrutinizing of the coverage?

Also be prepared for the small companies being VERY slow in paying you, one of my friends is now looking into legal options because of never getting paid for some work he did.

Very true, terms on the order may be 30 days but everyone is taking 60+. I raised my rates to compensate and none have complained.

What were the specifics that triggered the scrutinizing of the coverage?

Runs in my mind (it has been a few years) the trigger was that I had a new contract from a client with new limits I needed and the guy that I got that day I called in was thorough enough to ask the right questions this time. He didn't like the answers we had back and forth and kicked it up the chain a level or two. Then things got scrutinized. It became a long drawn out process, they even had to restore data tapes to replay conversations. It was a nightmare. Again end of the day, I would not have been covered by their true underwriter, which I forget anymore who that is, but they eventually admitted that to me. I would have been left on my own in any real situation.
i'm really not the type to slam someone else, but in this case it was sure interesting how they would take my money each year, but didn't bother to help verify if in fact the insurance was any good. But I guess in the end they did, so call it a draw I guess. I did get some premiums back.

I don't mean to side track this thread to far. Feel free to PM me other questions if you like, but again it was a few years ago and I"ve tried to purge that from memory! I just wanted to share a warning is all.

Last edited:
What he said

The "obtain insurance" part is what will make the small job thing untenable. If you are fully truthful about what your LLC intends to do when speaking with insurance companies most will run the second you say PLC. My insurance is from a division of Lloyd's of London and the costs are significant. My renewals are on an annual basis, with the entirety of the years fees due immediately.

This is what closed my business down,I was a one man shop. When I had to change insurance companys because my agent passed away, it priced me out right out.

Here in the states there are three types. First is worker's compensation which covers your medical bills if you are injured on the job. Second is general liability, often called a business owner's policy, which covers your customer if you fail to deliver on a contract. Third, and most expensive is professional liability, also known as errors & omissions coverage. That covers you if someone sues you for injuries sustained as a result of anything you did.
A point the OP should be aware of is that when a person is injured on the job and accepts a workers compensation settlement, that person gives up the right to sue their employer, at which point their lawyer will start looking for anyone who had anything to do with the equipment on which the person was injured and sue them.

When doing smaller jobs, does the company your doing the job for buy the parts to be installed or do you get the parts and bill everything together?

I do the design, programing, and commissioning. I refer the customer to a couple of panel builders I work with. I prefer not to get involved in the hardware, I don't buy enough to get a good discount and don't like carrying the debt for what little markup can be made.