When it comes down gearboxes , what percent of the U.S. market is SEW Eurodrive

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

I took notice that the majority of the gearboxes we have
in our plant are SEW Eurodrive . I started wondering , of all
the plants that you have been in and your plants , what percent
of the U.S. market that you think are SEW Eurodrive gearboxes ?

Thanks so much ,

They are top notch. No idea on percentage.
The machine I’m working on now are all SEW

Great delivery too.

Where I work, less than 5% are SEW. Everything else is a mish mash of whatever has has the right shaft size and a close enough bolt pattern.

Bubba.

Two years ago I visited a large Amazon logistics center here near Barcelona and all geared motors I saw were from Nord brand.

It is not the US but the technology was clearly from the US, all AB equipment

The only SEW I work on is a few machines that were made in Germany -Kuttler and MEV-Anlagen

And they use a lot of Sew exclusively.

For me that would be less than the 5% mentioned earlier

I think you need to define it a lot tighter...

SEW does not sell 'gearboxes', only integrally mounted gearmotors. This limits some of the applications, since a lot of US companies don't want metric/special motors. They want something that is more universally replaceable, such as the NEMA motors, and C-face mounted gear reducers. As far as I know, SEW does not offer these, like Sumitomo, Shimpo, Nord, Stober, etc.

I'm not knocking them, by any means, I firmly believe they make a first-class product. But those mentioned above are fine products as well. Just depends on the designer & user's preference.

My guess would be 25% of the integral gearmotors above 1HP. But <2% of the gear reducers...

SEW does not sell 'gearboxes', only integrally mounted gearmotors. This limits some of the applications, since a lot of US companies don't want metric/special motors. They want something that is more universally replaceable, such as the NEMA motors, and C-face mounted gear reducers. As far as I know, SEW does not offer these, like Sumitomo, Shimpo, Nord, Stober, etc.

Yes. SEW sells gearboxes. Not just gear motors

The last few years when I requested SEW Gearboxs amd Motors , I would always requset what SEW has now is choose a AM Adapter , and use any Baldor , or any other 56C , 143C , etc. motors with these SEW gearboxes.