Micro 850 to Micro 850

CoronadoPLC

Hello, and thanks in advance
I am working on a project with two micro 850 controllers and want to send bool bit from one to the other. I am in firmware version 21. I am new to connected components workbench so I am a little lost.

there are a lot of possibilities. do you have access to the CCW help utility?

are there spare inputs and outputs, and are the two PLCs close to each other and on the same ground so that a single wire could do this?

are they on an Ethernet LAN or connected via serial line where they can access each other? then a MSG_CIPSYMBOLIC or MSG_CIPGENERIC instruction might be the way to go. MSG_MODBUS or MSG_MODBUS2 are alternatives that might be easier to configure.

Same questions as "drbitboy" are they on the same network?
This could be done several different ways just as "drbitboy" has mentioned.

Here's another way that would be very easy but would add a little more expense.

Add a Raspberry Pi and Node-Red as the "INTERFACE" between the two. This would make it very easy to read/write global tags back and forth between the 2 plc's. Just a few lines of "Python" code and you would be good to go.

This is just another option to chose from.

They are on the same network via Ethernet. They however will not be close to each other. So, I am assuming there is no MSG - CIP Data Table Write in the Connected Components like Logix 5000?

Last edited:
They are on the same network via Ethernet. They however will not be close to each other. So, I am assuming there is no MSG - CIP Data Table Write in the Connected Components like Logix 5000?

Actually there is: I think MSG_CIPSYMBOLIC is what you want; check out those YouTube videos by @Tim Wilborne.

I think the key requirement is that the tag that is read from Micro850 "A" by Micro850 "B" will need to be a global tag on Micro850 "A."

Get the Rockwell Automation Publication 2080-QS002B-EN-E - November 2016 "Micro800 Programmable Controllers: Getting Started with CIP Client Messaging"

Simple step by step process to communicate between Micro 820, 830, 850 etc.

Another option is to bridge through an HMI. Most HMI's will give this option now.