Micro Logix 1100 to PVP Project

WillM

Hi there. I've been an industrial electrician for 6 years straight from school and I'm currently undertaking my first project with a PLC and HMI.

Brief overview of the project...

Its a test rig that that will allow for the user to connect a moving casting arm for calibration and fault diagnosis.
- 4-20ma position signal
- 4-20ma feedback
- A small amount of digital I/Os for over temp, air shut, calibrated position...

Our site keeps most cards for the 1747 and 1757 series in stock and the initial idea was to go with a rack system, but it was going to be hugely overkill so I've been looking at the Micro Logix range. The 1100 combined with the Analogue I/O Module (1762-IF2OF2) appears to tick all the boxes as a stand alone PLC but this is where my weakness of HMIs comes in....

Will I find any issues with running Panel View Plus from the ML1100?

Are there any limitations I may come across? I want to use the PVP to input values to drive the arm throughout its range, and then display the feed back as it moves.

And after watching some videos of Factory Talk ME on Youtube I don't think the design process looks too hard. Is it easy enough to pick up?

Thanks for all the help.
Will.

You will have no problem using a PV+ with a Micrologix 1100.

It sounds as if you already have the FTVME software??

If not be aware that it is not free and cost a pretty penny to purchase.

You can download a version of RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite for FREE from the Rockwell site.

FTVME is not that bad to pick up and start to use.

BCS

You will have no problem using a PV+ with a Micrologix 1100.

It sounds as if you already have the FTVME software??

If not be aware that it is not free and cost a pretty penny to purchase.

You can download a version of RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite for FREE from the Rockwell site.

FTVME is not that bad to pick up and start to use.

BCS

Perfect! Just what i wanted to hear.

I have full RS Logix but will be borrowing someone's laptop for factory talk, hence hoping it wasn't too hard to get to grips with.

long term user of 1747/all AB stuff

I use the ML1100's for a lot of small projects like you mention.

They are well priced, compact, have cheap expansion IO, use ethernet and the full 5/05 command set..

They are pretty much a 505 in a compact housing.

The only thing i find annoying with them is the ethernet port is on the side rather than the front which can restrict where they are fitted in a smaller panel.

Unless you have lots of old free SLC 1746 hardware laying about i would be going with the ML1100.

They work perfectly with the PV+ series.

I've found FTV studio excellent. quick to develop and a studio me lisence was around $700 last time i got one.

I did a few projects with the web based software panelview componet series and found them clunky to use. Worked fine but slightly painful and slow to develop.

I would go with the ML1100 & any of the PV+ series.

Using analog for position feedback may (or may not) be of concern. It is hard to say for sure without knowing your specifications for precision, repeat-ability and more about the mechanical side of things.

Analog is certainly simpler to deal with than encoder + HSC (for example), but don't sacrifice precision for ease of use. You only have to develop it once, but it has to perform for much much longer in most cases.

+1 for Red Lion HMI. Free software and ultimate flexibility.

Last edited: