Micrologix 1100 and Advanced Hmi

Yertoo

I’m new to plc programming and very new to HMIs. So this is what I have done so far: I bought a micrologix 1100, I used bootP to set the up address. I started up rslinx and got the plc connected to my pc. I started up rslogix micro starter lite and created a new project( selected the driver from rslinx) and made a single rung program with an XIC on the left and a contactor on the right. Then I downloaded the program to the plc and went online and switched to run mode after the download completed. I downloaded Advanced HMI and opened the sample file in visual studio. I added the communication driver for micrologix as instructed. Selected the communication driver and set the up address to the ip address of my currently connected micrologix. I added a momentary button and set the PLCAddressClick to B3:0/0 (the memory location for my start button/ the XIC I mentioned before). That’s every step I’ve made. Now when I build the solution and start the hmi program, the start button text says “path to destination unknown”. I’m not sure if there is something else I have forgotten to set up or what is going on but I can’t seeem to get advanced hmi to find my plc. Thanks for any help you can provide!

The micrologix IP is 192.168.1.100 and my pc is 192.168.1.200. Rslogix seems to have no problem finding the micrologix, in fact I can even go into run mode and turn the outputs on and off. I even hear the contractors clicking, but advanced hmi is not finding it at all :/

You know what? You may be right I haven’t restarted it since I installed it. I’ll try that as soon as I get back to my desk. I’ll let ya know how that goes!

Make sure that the ML1100 Ethernet Channel Configuration has BootP turned off and then power cycle the PLC before you attempt to access it with 3rd party HMI software.

Ok I restarted RSlinx and then restarted my whole pc. That didn't change anything so I tried OkiePC's suggestion of making sure BootP is off and then power cycled. My micrologix held its ip address through the restart, but if i try to download a program to it i get a message saying that the communication settings are different and whether I accept the changes or not, when I restart the plc after that, it loses its IP again and I have to go back through bootp to reassign the IP and then re-disable bootp. If I don't download a program and just restart it, it does hold its IP. I don't know what to do. I posted two screen shots on IMGUR. On the right side of the two pictures is visual studio. One picture shows the button config and the other picture shows the communication driver config. Also pulled up rslogix micro and rslinx so maybe that will give you guys some extra information. If there is anything else I should include to give you a better idea of the situation please let me know: https://imgur.com/Zil9EFN https://imgur.com/PxCUUC1

Here is an extra question, would I be better off using some other hmi software? Can’t afford factory talk unfortunately. Allen-Bradley is extremely proud of their software. Advanced HMI seemed like a straight forward easy process to get it set up with a micrologix controller and maybe it is but I’m doing something wrong. If anyone knows of a free hmi software that’s better or easier to use that Advance HMI I am certainly open to suggestions. Thanks guys.

My earlier post stated you need to shutdown linx completely. If you simply close it but leave it running in the background it retains control of comms and your other software will be unable to communicate.

Oh! I see what you mean Darry. I thought you meant I needed to restart rslinx. I didn’t realize it would be tying up the communication. I’ll try that now, thanks.

I made sure I shutdown rslinx by just shutting my computer down completely and restarting. I also power cycled my ML1100. Once my computer booted up and the ML1100, I reconnected the ethernet cable to the computer and the 1100 and started Visual Studio first to see what would happen if I ran it alone first. No change in results. Still "CIP - Path to Destination Not Found" is the error I get when I press the button. Then I opened Rslogix Micro Starter Lite and connected successfully to the ML1100... I'm not sure what the issue could be. Every tutorial I find is over 6 years old. Maybe I'll look at some other option.

Make sure RSLinx is actually off. It could be auto-starting or running as a service. Try a different computer that doesn't even use RSLinx as a test.
George

There is a lot of talk about RSLinx, I don't think it is relevant. RSLinx only needs to be shut down when you use a serial port. It can be running when using Ethernet.

Based on your image, you are using the wrong driver. The CLX driver is for CompactLogix/ControlLogix. You need to use the SLC driver for the MicroLogix.

Edit: EthernetIPforSLCMicroCom

Thanks, everything else I've seen online including other forum posts says to use the CLX driver. I've changed it to the EthernetIPforSLCMicroCom driver, but now, instead of a Error about path destination, I get nothing. No errors. I tried just running visual studio with ML1100 connected and nothing else running. Nothing happened. Started rslinx, nothing happened running the program again. Started RSlogics micro starter lite, nothing happens when running the program again. I click the momentary button (I set the output type to SetTrue). The button is supposed to be linked to B3:0/0 and when true should energize O:0/0. If i set the bit B3:0/0 to true in rslogix, the output energizes, but I cant seem to get this button to change the 0 to 1.

All I'm supposed to do is use the correct driver and enter the IP address of the MicroLogix 1100. Then have the button point to the bit in the 1100's memory I want to turn on, but it does nothing. I must be missing something.

Also I looked through the get started guide with pylogix and it says it’s for compact and control logix. Doesn’t mention micrologix, also it’s explaining how to get started with tags but I only have rslogix micro starter lite, so I can’t create my own tags. Not sure if it’s worth spending the day trying to set it up just to find out it isn’t compatible with my version of rslogix or my micrologix.

Last edited: