Micrologix 1400 hsc

m_paper

Hi, everyone I’m working on a registration project where I’m counting encoder pulses between registration marks. I’m expecting to see around 1800 pulses. The problem I seem to have is that number will vary +\- 30 pulses. I’ve tried the EII function and it doesn’t seem to help could be just lack of knowledge on setting it up. I had it set up with a limit of 1700 and 1900 pulses it will enable. I also thought it could be the sensor but I hooked up a pulse generator and I’m still seeing the same out come. So I’m left to believe it’s a scan time issue and when and how the pe is being processed. If anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. As I’ve been manipulating the program as much as I can to optimize for a month and I’m still seeing the same results. Thanks in advance

One of the problems I have seen with the 1400 HSC inputs is that it is easy to forget to change the input filter settings for the discrete inputs assigned to the counter and the default setting may not be fast enough for the actual input rate and can allow for missed pulses.

Another problem I see too often is the program is written to reset the HSC accumulator through software which can result in missing counts if the process is still generating pulses while that reset action occurs. It's better to just record the accumulator value and use it as the basis for further calculations of rate or distance.

What is it that your program does when it reaches the registration mark?

Does it simply store the value from the high speed counter?

If you can, zip and attach the RSS file so we can look at the program.

Yes I have adjusted the filter and IÂ’m using the software reset. IÂ’d thought about changing the hsc mode with the reset and hold but with 1 input for both not sure how I would do that. I can post the program tomorrow when I get in. Thanks for your response