Micrologix 1500 Rslogix500

berrabbit5849

Is there more than one way to enter a B3 ? I thought I saw where you could use B3: 0 to 4095. My program says I have to use B3:0/0. To the bit level. How many levels can I go ? B3:0/????

Memory Module
If I have a MM installed and my processor goes bad. Can I program a combination of inputs and pick up an S bit to download the memory to the processor? If so what S bit would that be ? I know I can set an S bit to ALWAYS LOAD on power up. I don not see anyway to make the MM automaticaly STORE or UPLOAD.

RS500 can accept bit addresses as either B3/bb (bb = 0 to end of file), or B3:word/bit (where bit = 00 to 15)

Examples:
B3/0 = B3:0/00
B3/1 = B3:0/01
B3/16 = B3:1/0
B3/160 = B3:10/0

Perhaps a bit of a description of what those components mean would help:

B indicates that it is a BINARY data file type. Other options are I (Input), O (Output), S (System), T (Timer), N (Integer), F (Float), C (Counter), R (Control), ST (String).

3 indicates which particular file. Any file can technically be assigned to an file type, however O0, I1, S2, B3, T4, C5, R6, N7, and F8 come "pre-assigned" by default. If you want to create a new Binary file, it might be B10, for example.

When you go right of the ":", it depends on how it is displayed. If you have B3:0/4, the 0 indicates which WORD in the file, while the 4 indicates which BIT in that word (starting with bit 0)

If you choose to display your addresses as B3/24, then the 24 would indicate which bit within the B3 binary data file number 3, again starting with bit 0. B3/24 would be exactly the same as B3:1/8.

Regarding your memory module, there is no way to make it automatically upload from the CPU to the MM. You have to INTENTIONALLY write the memory module.

In addition to what's been posted above, a binary file type can be addressed on the word level as B3:0, B3:2, etc. Offhand, I don't recall how many words you can have in one B file on a 1500. i know on a PLC5 you can have up to 2000 on the later firmware.

Last edited:
I have a Micrologix 1500 base unit. 1764-24BWA. I am using 3 input cards [24v] and 3 output cards [contact]. Is the base unit power supply sufficent to power all of these modules ? Can't find it but I think I read somewhere that the base unit was good for 7 modules. I am not using the built in 24 v power. I have a 5 amp 24 vDC Power Supply for my inputs. All outputs are contacts with 110 VAC going through them. Will only be picking up 110 VAC hydraulic valve coils.

To clarify all that has been said about B file addressing, please be clear that it is RSLogix500 software that enables you to view bit addresses as either B3:Word/Bit or B3/Bit.

You can enter them any way you want, but the software displays them dependant upon the setting in View->Properties - see the pic attached...

Example1 : you enter the bit address B10/53 and the Binary Bit Display Mode is set to Word/Bit, then your address will be displayed as B10:3/5

Example2 : you enter the bit address B95:10/8 and the Binary Bit Display Mode is set to /Bit, then your address will be displayed as B95/168

2012-04-20_235421.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Micrologix 1500 base unit. 1764-24BWA. I am using 3 input cards [24v] and 3 output cards [contact]. Is the base unit power supply sufficent to power all of these modules ? Can't find it but I think I read somewhere that the base unit was good for 7 modules. I am not using the built in 24 v power. I have a 5 amp 24 vDC Power Supply for my inputs. All outputs are contacts with 110 VAC going through them. Will only be picking up 110 VAC hydraulic valve coils.

The specs of the base unit will tell you how much power it can supply. The modules specs tell you how much they consume. The manuals that come with the PLC and the I/O modules should have that information. (Been a while since I've opened one though).

But, RSLogix will warn you when you verify your project if your I/O configuration may exceed the power supply of the selected processor. I haven't looked it up, but I believe 3 In and 3 Out is fine.