Mircologix 1500 to E-net

WTFSUNELECSUP

Has anyone converted a Mircologix 1500 to Ethernet, I see that one can use the Allen Bradley 1761-NET-ENI converter.

I'm open to suggestions and I'm always looking for something quick and dirty like the centercom 210T that we used on the PLC 5/40E. I have (3) mircologix 1500 to do, so $763 each, is a little high.

I have also used the Digi One IAP and several general-purpose Ethernet Serial Servers like the Lantronix DR-1 to connect A-B controllers to EtherNet/IP.

The Digi One IAP is more complicated to set up than the 1761-NET-ENI, but has more connection capacity and several more sophisticated features. It's comparably priced.

One reason that the 1761-NET-ENI and the Digi One IAP are more expensive than a general-purpose RS-232/Ethernet terminal server is that they have protocol-specific conversion firmware that recognizes the Allen-Bradley protocol both on the serial and the Ethernet side, and converts between the two.

A general-purpose Ethernet serial server usually is used as a "Virtual Serial Port". It intercepts data that the computer would otherwise be sending to a serial COM port, transports it over Ethernet, and transmits it out the serial port on the device.

Using a general-purpose device, you'll set up the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx, not the Ethernet or Ethernet Devices driver.

A device equipped with a general-purpose Ethernet serial server also won't be able to send or receive messages directly from other controllers or from HMI devices like PanelView terminals.

Explain what sort of functionality you need and how much complexity you're willing to accept to get a lower hardware cost.

The one MircoLogix 1500 a LSP Series C and the other two are a LRP series C. Nothing thats really advanced is served by those PLCs. They each have a couple of Discreet I/O sidecars such as a 1769-IQ16 or a 1769-OW8, one has a 769-IF4XOF2 4channel Analog In and 2 Channel Analog output, the most adavanced thing is one of the MircoLogix has an Allen Bradley PV600 TouchScreen (only) thats connected DH+, but as described above nothing really advanced. Most of the discreet I/O is for Pushbuttons, with some of the output controlling a Saftronics Gp10 VFD through relays and a couple of Cutler Hammer Starters (with 120V coils).

Started to ty in the lsp mircologix 1500 and noticed that there is no rs232 serial port on the side like there is with the lrp version has anyone come across this before, i thought the only difference was the memory size of 8 compared to 14, ill check the manual when i get a chance but would imagine that i have to use an adaptor and go to the kt1 port on the front, let me know if im missing something

The front port ( 8 pin mini Din) on your ML1500 is a RS232 port that can be configured for DF1, DH485, Modbus or ASCII protocol.

You would use a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable to connect a 1761-NET-ENI to it or any of the other devices mentioned.

Last edited:
definitely use the digi or lantronix over the net eni.

Unless.... and I'm just saying UNLESS... you want it to be easy to set up, or you want the controller to be able to send messages to other controllers.

The LanTronix and Digi devices are more stable and have higher performance. But they are more complicated to configure, and they do not have the dead-simple native translation between DF1 and EtherNet/IP that the Net-ENI does.

The Net-ENI also can connect directly to the MicroLogix 1500 1764-LSP processor through its round Mini-DIN8 port, and even be powered by the CPU. That's a nice and compact installation.

I ordered the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable with the Net-ENI, and they arrived this week. While in the shop, I plugged the round 8pin cable connector into the NET-ENI and was going to plug the 9 pin RS232 serial cable connector into the side of the LSP Mircologix 1500 processor. When I took over one of the staff electricians to show him what we were going to do, I discovered that the Mircologix1500 LSP doesn't have the side port, like the LRPs. The only port is the port on the front and it happens to be another 8 pin round, where we have been plugging in the laptop.

The intent of this project is to delete the use of the laptops and go with a host computer in the control room. The existing host computer has (2) SLC5/05 and a PLC 5/40E currently running using RSLOGIX5 and RSlogix500. I installed a 4 port ethernet switch inside the PLC 5/40E cabinet so we don't have to go all the way back to the control room (100 + meters) and plan on extending the cat5e cables out to the (2) Mircologix from there, one is the LSP (which we are trying to switch over first as it has the most benefit) and the other one is a LRP, which currently has a PV600 using the RS232 side port.

The other install (third Mircologix 1500 LRP) comes from another host computer in a different plant across the yard, it has a CRXL 5000 already installed and a Mircologix 1500 LRP that we never connected during construction. This Mircologix we're going to be adding on to the host, along with the RSlogix500 (to go-online). In the end, the point of this project is only go online and view the logic or code and possibly make small changes (offline).

I decided to start with the LSP because it has the most benefit, and when we went to install the Net-ENI, ahead of pulling in the CAT5e cable, I found that the LSP has no side mounted RS232 serial port like the LRP.

Unless I'm missing something, the only way I can see how to connect the LSP using the Net-ENI is to use an adaptor plug on the 9 pin RS232 serial end of the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable and adapt to the 8 pin round on the front of the Mircologix LSP

Please correct me if I'm wrong. (hopefully I'm)

Last edited:
See picture and pdf

cableforml1500.png

Attachments

• PIN-OUT FOR THE 1761-CBL-AM00, 1761-CBL-HM02 AND THE 1761-CBL-PM02 CABLES.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 3
The 1761-CBL-AM00 cable is a 45 cm cable with 90 degree Mini-DIN8 round connectors on both sides.

It is purpose-built to connect Channel 0 of a MicroLogix controller to a 1761-NET-ENI (or similar devices, like Net-AIC and Net-DNI). That is exactly what you want.

One additional small benefit is that the MicroLogix controller can provide 24V DC power through that cable to the 1761-NET-ENI.

Set the Internal/External power slider switch on the Net-ENI to select it. Don't do this if you have any other devices running off the 24V auxiliary terminals on the MicroLogix 1500 I/O base. This is present only on the 120V AC powered models.

Thanks,

I will get the 1761-CBL-AM00 cable ordered on tuesday, Westburne quoted us the PM02 last time, I never checked in to it until I actually had the Net-ENI in hand. I may have confused them aswell, as I had mentioned both the LSP and the LRP, which we now have the cable for, when we go to do that in a few weeks.