Mitsubishi FX-48MR CPU

tiny

I have an old FX-48MR-ES PLC where the battery has leaked. The CPU board (FX2-CPU) is damaged. I noticed that there are several FX2-cpu boards for sale on EBay. They all seem to be similar but some have the run switch on the board some don't.

I noticed that the boards have an A, B, C, D suffix - although the vendors don't offer a choice.

Are these boards interchangeable?

Does the board need to be configured for a particular PLC model prior to use - and if so how do you do it? Or does it just recognise which PLC it is installed in automatically?

Is there any documentation available (e.g. service manual) which explains more ablut the circuit boards etc?

Thanks

Tony

You mention FX-48 then talk about FX2 ? this is a little confusing the FX2 (N) is the later version and different, or are you talking about what might be printed on the board, I looked on ebay & did not see any genuine FX48 boards only clones & these are not the same. so I suggest you be careful You would probably be better off getting an FX2N complete or even FX3U there seems to be some around the same cost, the FX3U is still current but the FX & FX2N are obsolete. If you have a copy of the original program then upgrading from FX to FX3U is a doddle, the program will work without any changes (just change the PLC type), the only thing is the connector terminals are slightly different (If I remember offset a little).

Hi Thanks for replying.

The board is marked FX2-CPU - although it is an FX-48MR-ES PLC.

It is exactly like one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274775514467?hash=item3ff9e59d63:g:KWwAAOSwlTldznPd

According to the description they are meant to be used, tested condition.

It is very interesting that the prices keep changing - I also made an offer on one and they actually INCREASED the price!

I appreciate that the PLC an be changed for a more modern one, but I have several clients who just want to swap modules over rather than modify the whole set-up which would be necessary if we change the PLC.

It seems a shame to write off a perfectly good PLC if it can be fixed, so if possible I would prefer to just change the cpu board.

Tony

There is no reason why it will not work, obviously, you need to have a copy of the plc code, or rewrite it if it has been lost. the chances are that there will be no program if the battery died & it has been powered off. I still maintain if possible to upgrade to at least the FX3, but that is your choice, the only difference is the later FX is a smaller footprint so it does depend on cable length, I replaced a number of FX's with FX3U & fortunately there was a little spare cable in the trunking. The other obvious thing is does the board work. but for the cost it's not a great cost. There are some cheap FX2N but most of the cheaper ones are from China, so may be clones, long delivery, possible import tax etc.