Mitsubishi FX-48MR (Melsec Medoc)

Toby88

Hello!

First time poster and a big PLC newbie so I am looking for some backup here.

I have an old Mitsubishi FX-48MR that lost its program possibly due to a dead battery. I was able to get some files of the original programmer who set this up back in the 90's.

The files have .gcc .gct .hdr .nam .prg .prm extensions. I was hoping someone could convert these into a format that my electrician can use to get the program back into the PLC.

He has the cables required to communicate with the PLC and he uses Melsoft to access it(not sure about version).

Kind regards,

Toby

Attachments

• Milnor.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 6
The FX is not supported by GXDeveloper or above you really need Medoc, I don't believe it can be read by anything else & it's a dos program maybe an old version of GXDeleoper may support an import but V7 > does not.
That PLC is so old & not supported anymore but it can be replaced by the later FX range but you need at least a printout of the old Medoc file.

The FX is fully supported by GXDeveloper and, although I don't remember it very well, I think those file extensions are from a GXDeveloper project

GXDeveloper (at least the version I have) does not support the older FX only the FX0>FX3 The file posted is for Medoc not GX not sure if older versions of GXDev do support it but even the older GPP etc. will not import it.

The older GX Dev asked you if you wanted the ability to import Medoc files during installation.
I remember I had a lot of Medoc programs so I ticked that option.
GX will program the old FX. I think it see's it as an FXU.

To program the old FX, the large PLC with DB25 connector, with GXDeveloper, choose FXU/FX2C type.

An SC-09 cable is needed, that already comes with the large DB25 connector and the Mini DIN for newer FXs

The attached file with the project already looks like a GXDeveloper project on which each project is a directory.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the comments.

After spending half the day on google and youtube I managed to set up an old work PC to get WinXP running and downloaded
the old Medoc software to it.

I needed an even older version of Medoc (1.64) the newer 2.4 did not read the files. So I can now view the ladder diagram.

I also noticed that when I changed the filename to compress the files it messed it up when reading in Medoc. Windows wont compress files with special Swedish characters so its supposed to be "MIL_ÅKVG" not MIL_AKVG". Should have used WinRar instead...

My electrician had a version of GXDeveloper that wasnt able to import the files but he has the cable to connect with the PLC so hopefully we will get it up and running tomorrow morning from my old XP machine that has a COM port.

Last edited:
Yes I believe that GXDev stopped supporting old Medoc imports from V5.xx onwards or something like that, never tried using GXDev latest version on an old FX but did many upgrades from the old FX to FX2 & the code is identical in operation.

To conclude this:

We spent the day on this yesterday and finally got it working. The main problem was that the program has this special Swedish character in the file name. I had my XP machine with a Swedish install able to see the program just fine, but copying it to another old Siemens field laptop with XP in English it wasnt able to even see the project.

Opening it in Medoc on the Swedish machine and saving it with a different name we were finally able to see them on both machines. With this new file name we were able to import it in his version of GX Developer 8.x.x if I remeber correctly.

We got communication with the PLC easily but uploading the program was a different problem. We couldn't get the PLC to stop "RUN" mode in neither Medoc (which asks when you transfer if you want to stop it) and remote operation on GX Developer was greyed out. There is also no Run/Stop switch on this old beast.
In the end we had to remove the 24V jump wire to the "RUN" connection on the PLC to stop it. Maybe this would be easier to figure out for those who works with this daily!

The program we were running before the crash is probably modified over the years so we are getting maybe 95% of the functions but for the current application its working fine. We also had to jump an input on the old Hitachi EM that it works in conjunction with, even more ancient technology!

I do suggest you think about upgrading to perhaps an FX3U or 3G, although not sure how long these will be current, perhaps go for an FX5U, however, the 5U is a little different but should have a long support cycle as it is pretty new.

Also consider getting a GXworks license. You can migrate up to GXworks V2. Which has the benefit of running on a modern machine.

Haven't had the problems with the Swedish characters myself even if both machines that run Melsec FX-48MRs here origin in Sweden.

I agree that we should not be reliant on this, and I had a discussion with my boss about replacing it so we will see. The current application is very simple though and could maybe even be replaced with a few push buttons and jumper wires. Since we got a copy of the original program we thought it was a fun challenge to get it up and running again! It was a more complicated setup in the 90's when this installation was new. It was a fully automatic unloading conveyor for 4 washing machines.

Right now it basically tells 1 washing machine its "ok" to unload when it asks for permission and then loads the laundry into a dryer automatically.

We dont really do any PLC programming ourselves at my job, though I am interested in getting more involved in it so maybe I can convince the boss we need a GXworks license. But only 2 of our older machines run Mitsubishi I believe. We mainly have Siemens and B&R in the newer equipment and the issues we have are usually handled remote by the companies who sold them.

I agree - but do they change em.... no.
Had a few over the last few years. Battery failed, program lost, no drawings and no back-up program.
One had the same battery for 30 years.

The battery in this one was a Maxell manufactured in 94, impossible to say how long its been there. I am still new in the automation branch, been at this place about 1 year now. Guess I learned the hard way to keep on top of the batteries!

Had a few CF cards crash in the newer machines but this was the first time a battery caused an issue.