Mitsubishi FX2N questions

Sathoff

pXw7kMQ

Qfjz6jv

Hi all

IÂ’ve never worked with Mitsubishi PLCÂ’s or software, but a customer at our branch has requested the PLC program for future upgrades/installments etc.

PLC is Mitsubishi FX2N-32MR.

My 2 questions are:
1. Which programming software does this PlC require?
2. Which cable would I need to go online and upload the program?

I assume I would need GX Works2 FX software for this, would that be correct? Also the Mitsubishi doesnÂ’t list a price for the software, this is where IÂ’m a bit confused.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all!

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg
pxw7kmq

qfjz6jv

hi all

iâ’ve never worked with mitsubishi plcâ’s or software, but a customer at our branch has requested the plc program for future upgrades/installments etc.

Plc is mitsubishi fx2n-32mr.

My 2 questions are:
1. Which programming software does this plc require?
2. Which cable would i need to go online and upload the program?

I assume i would need gx works2 fx software for this, would that be correct? Also the mitsubishi doesnâ’t list a price for the software, this is where iâ’m a bit confused.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all!

Sorry for the double post, my images didn't include in my original post.

Last edited:
1. You can use either SC-09 cable and USB-RS232 converter or FX-USB.
2. My suggestion is to use GxWorks3, as you will get GxWorks2 and GX Developer included. However you need to bare in mind that if you don't have original source and programmer did not downloaded comments it will be maybe easier to write new code. Also if original programmer used GX IEC Developer and you have original code, than you will need to do conversion.
In my country price for Gx Works3 is around 430 Eur + VAT.

Also to note that if PLC is connected to some Mitsubishi HMI, most likely you will not need PLC programming cable, as you can use "Transparent mode".

1. You can use either SC-09 cable and USB-RS232 converter or FX-USB.
2. My suggestion is to use GxWorks3, as you will get GxWorks2 and GX Developer included. However you need to bare in mind that if you don't have original source and programmer did not downloaded comments it will be maybe easier to write new code. Also if original programmer used GX IEC Developer and you have original code, than you will need to do conversion.
In my country price for Gx Works3 is around 430 Eur + VAT.

Thank you for the info.

The customer does not have the original source and it is unknown what the original programmer did or did not do.

I'll have to ask if there is an HMI connected to it as customer did not state so.

Basically he is wanting the program uploaded for fear that the PLC may die or lose its program

Open the the front cover, there may be the eeprom there. If yes then you are safe, except for RAM data.
You need to change battery every 3 years and to do it properly in order not to lose data.
Although this is very old PLC it is still very reliable.

Goghie is correct, you can also use GXDeveloper which is ladder only, not sure if this is still availlable though, GXWorks 2 & 3 has GXDeveloper in it anyway.
If it was programmed in GXIEC or Works & the symbolic code has not been downloaded then it can only be uploaded as ladder with no comments, however, if it was done in GXIEC or Works then the code you get back (if no symbolic information) is ladder with no comments, however, it may contain a number of jumps to subroutines as this is how GXWorks & IEC work. also be aware that the older GIEC sometimes created code that fails to convert back into ladder, this means you cannot re-download it without mods. I came across this a couple of rungs there seemed to be connections missing to complete the ladder, this was not an error as far as the PLC was concerned I downloaded to a spare PLC the code in Memonic form & it worked, there were certainly a few bugs in the original GXIEC.
Your local Mitsubishi supplier should be able to give you prices, I notived RS do the stuff you need but that seems way over the top price wise.
Just one other thing, bear in mind if the original programmer set a password in the PLC then you will not be able to upload the code.

Thank you for your replies.

That's exactly what the customer wants, he wants the program uploaded so he can power down the panel and replace the battery. He's fearful of the PLC losing the program as he states its happened before.

That is a very good point about the program being password protected as well.

Normally, they reccomend powering off if the battery is changed within a few minutes there is a capacitor that will retain the program & memory, TBH I change them with power on, never had a problem & I have changed hundreds on FX, A & Q series, I do recommend taking a backup of the data registers this is called "MAIN" under device memory in the tree on the left of IDE.
Also if you have a copy of the program do a comparison, if not upload it.
Although the batteries can last upto 10 years (depending on how often & for how long they are powered down), We had customers who asked us to change the batteries every 12 months, normally I would change them every 2-3 years.