Modicons control expert

RY_Guthrie

Hello, I am new to control expert and I am looking a quick start guide for basic ladder and function block programming. I have searched the web site but with little luck. It seems they have everything but what I am looking for? I need to learn the basics first, I/O addressing, basic ladder functions, basic function blocks etc... Any one have a link to a pdf or video of this kind of stuff?

My personal experience has led me to believe that Modicon's LD is really clumsy , especially if a person is used to a full-blown AB ladder editor. I really try to avoid it - and I do more Schneider work than any other brand.

For many years I've used Schneider FBD and it has worked very well. You have to watch execution order since it is not as rigidly defined as it is for LD. The PLC class outline at corsairhmi.com has some tips as to how to deal with FBD execution order. It usually involves hooking ENO from one block to EN of the next. You generally don't have to do it with very many of your blocks - just the ones where the result of one feeds into the other. If the result is 'piped' through a connection (which is where FBD is really good) the ENO - EN link is not needed.

I know that there are many here who endlessly repeat that LD is the only thing to use because electricians and maintenance people understand it and that's all customers will allow. No wonder there is so much horrible ladder code out there. There's a huge difference between a programming language and relay schematics and there are a couple of sides to that whole argument. It ends up being political and pointless . If you are working with a Schneider CPU I personally would encourage you to consider FBD, ST, and SFC and forget their ladder. With other brands I would make other choices.

thanks

I believe most of the logic i will be editing is in function block, so thank you for the advice and the links, I found the pdf manuals and I will be watching a few more youtube videos trying to get up to speed, thank you!