MoScad Radio System

cyoung120

Hi Guys,

I have been asked to upload the configurations and possibly make changes to an existing Motorola MoScad radio system. It consists of a Main Base, a repeater and 10+ plus remote stations. The one at the main base is a FPN5128A and the repeater is a MTR2000. I believe that the remote stations are the same as the base station but I am not 100% on that until I visit all sites.

I received a copy of MTR2000 RSS from Motorola. I "think" this is what is needed in order to connect to the repeater. Can someone please confirm this? If yes, is there any special cable/adapter/magic box needed or will a regular 232 cable be good. Another thing I am unsure of, what operating system does this RSS software need installed on? In one of the ReadMe files, it mentions floppy disks so I am guessing Windows 95/98?

If I would manage to get this software installed and working, will it work for all of the radios or is there a different software package needed depending on the model of the radio?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

I’m not familiar with the Moscad radios but from what little I can find online you may be trying to do something that can’t be (easily) done. It looks like these are old trunking radios that pre-date the re-allocation of the 800MHz frequencies (I.E. they may not work regardless of what is done). I found one document dated 2010 that talked about upgrading the MTR2000 to an MTR3000 (to give you an idea of how old these radios might be). Again, I’m not familiar with them at all but I’d suggest calling Motorola and see what can and can’t be done with this system.

Thanks for the response Firejo.

I have been in contact with Motorola. They seem to be limited in the amount of assistance they can provide with the units being so old. I have been trying to find info via Google but have not had much luck. Right now my biggest fear is plugging into one of these and all of a sudden it dies. I am guessing that it would take a miracle to find a replacement.....

Motorola used to have MSSes. Motorola Service Shops/Stations. I worked for one many years ago and I built microwave radio stations and maintained the older ones. It was Starpoint 6 gig radios and Starplex multiplex equipment plus old reflex klystron tube radios.

I don't know if Motorola still has the MSS system. You might be able to find one around that can advise you. The one I worked for could service any of the radio products. Pagers, Police systems, two way, microwave, etc. Good luck.

These guys might have some info.

http://www.edmssa.org/

Ohio
http://www.edmssa.org/member-directory/ohio.html

Last edited:
The best advice you can give your client is to upgrade/replace the system. If Motorola can’t provide you with anything but a few “hums and hahs” then your customer is dealing with a system that can’t be relied upon. Best to replace it now while it still works then to have to hurry up and replace it because it’s down.

The best advice you can give your client is to upgrade/replace the system. If Motorola can’t provide you with anything but a few “hums and hahs” then your customer is dealing with a system that can’t be relied upon. Best to replace it now while it still works then to have to hurry up and replace it because it’s down.

We are in the early stages of figuring out the best way to migrate this system forward. We would like to get online with the existing radios and check some of the signals strengths and such. Ideally we would like to replace just the Moscads and leave the antennas alone. Some of them are pretty high up a tower.....