Motor guru's I need your help...

Motor Guru's

DickDV thanks for the posts. Like the others I am also learning a good deal. I find it exciting to read into something that you work with all the time but don't have a lot of knowledge about. beerchug

To DickDV, Tom Jenkins, Russ, and all other contributors. I am a newbie to this forum, and thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. If this is the kind of help users can expect, the lack of manufacturer technical support is of no consequence!! You guys are awesome!!

This has definitely been a very helpful thread for me. I am sorry for the frustration that I'm sure comes through sometimes.
From the very beginning (december 1999) I was open and tried very hard to work with the manufacturers to find the cause and solution to the problem. Unfortunately the same respect and open-ness was not returned in kind.
Some of the people at my company gave me a heads up to the possibility of these companies deflecting responsibility and engaging in finger-pointing rather than saving time and money and just find the solution. Even now Weg is trying to find some wiggle room to explain away all of these failures. Of course they won't be Wegs fault, or more realistically I expect to hear something along the lines of partial responsibility. But in all honesty I have nothing but a bitter taste in my mouth.
the real loser is the plant. If these failures continue (and my data from last week showed line 2's motor temp increased 20F all around) the plant will lose valuable production time, and GM will not be kind to them.

Russ

Motor-Drive Discussion

Russ, yesterday I made contact with Robicon and they agreed to send me via email a copy of the 454GT manuals. I don't have them yet but it sounds like they will come thru on this.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you might not want to carry this any further. If so, let me know, please. Otherwise, when I get the manuals, I will try to get familiar with their software and offer some suggestions for you to try.

One thing I've wonder about that you haven't mentioned---What is the ambient temperature around the motors? Your temperature data on the motors shows 120 degrees F on the fan end of the motor which makes me think that the ambient temp might be close to that.

Hi Dick,
The ambients were warm (being alabama), but nothing above the upper 80's to low 90's.
What I find perplexing (actually what I find alarming) is the increase in temperatures last week. I'll be shooting them again today and wonder just what they will be.

Russ

Motor-Drive Discussion

Well, Russ, it seems Robicon hasn't changed much since the days when I dropped them for being just too obnoxious to deal with. First they promised me the manuals via email and then, this morning, sent an email advising me to contact their fulfillment service and order one. Oh, yes, by the way, send $50 too.

I don't think so. If you want me to pursue this, send me one of your copies and I'll return it when we're done.

If those motor temps are 20 degrees higher than the ones you sent earlier, you can be sure the motors are in trouble, particularly if this is happening in standby mode.

It is possible that the setup on the drive is causing this or it may be motor problems. I can't really sort it out without a manual and your existing parameters.