Motors! Motors! Motors! (Topic 3 of 3)

I hear you Ron when you say
Then that same nite shift or whoever has a problem with it kicking out and when they should use a W35 they use a W53 or whatever is handy that is rated higher than what was there.
but I figure its harder for a lazy guy to change out the O/L so they might do the test work to see why it is tripping out.

Dont forget fuses must always protect the cable, so you can't upsize your fuses to 100 amps when you have 5 cables rated at 20 amps going out to 5 motors. A 50 amp short circuit wont blow the fuses and the cable insulation will melt away.

The fuses are acting as short circuit and ground fault protection, thermal or solid state overloads act as overcurrent protection. I'm curious as to how you're limiting this short circuit to 50 amps. I can't recall any short in a motor circuit that didn't clear the protection device, maybe I'm just lucky. :unsure: