Movimot and CompactLogix1769-L3x

nonuke

I have a project with a CompactLogix 1769-L3x and 12 SEW Movimot drives.

The Movimot Drives have a standard RS485 interface. Can I connect all the drives to the RS232 Com port of the CompactLogix or do I have to use other type of network like ASI, Devicenet etc. I read somewhere that the RS232 Com port of the CompactLogix, could be used as an RS485 network. If I use other type of network, I need to buy 12 network modules for the drives.
I'm used to Siemesn PLC's not to AB.

First the hardware. You could connect to all of the drives if you have a RS232-to-RS485 converter for the CPU's serial port.

Second, the software. Looking at the website, it appears that the RS485 port is for diagnostics. So, is it worthwhile stringing the RS485 network if it isn't going to do any control for you? It looks like there is plenty of fieldbus options. Much like Siemens supporting ProfiNet / Profibus, the Compactlogix supports Ethernet/IP / DeviceNet (with the addition of a scanner module).

I would explore the ethernet/ip option by first creating a RSL5000 project with your exact processor selection and try creating the 12 Sew drives in the ethernet portion of the project tree. You'll need to get the EDS files from SEW or, if EDS files don't exist, the generic module settings for connecting to a drive. If the project looks good, you could order that fieldbus option.

Thank you jstolaruk for your help.
As you can see on page 58 of the manual, we can use the RS485 port to control the drive. My problem is on the PLC side.
Can I use the PLC com port or not?
I don´t have a budget to buy 12 network cards for the drives.

http://download.sew-eurodrive.com/download/pdf/21214190.pdf

We have used SEW drives in the past using RS485 but we did not use the Com port of the CPU, we used a 1769-ASCII card. The card is not cheep but its a lot cheaper than 12 Ethernet cards for example.

We have used SEW drives in the past using RS485 but we did not use the Com port of the CPU, we used a 1769-ASCII card. The card is not cheep but its a lot cheaper than 12 Ethernet cards for example.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Just from observation, it doesn't appear this would work. The picture says it must comply to the "Movilink protocol" which i assume is SEW's own protocol. It looks like you can get add on adapters to talk Ethernet I/P to the Compactlogix. It also looks like Red Lions DSP is a configurable gateway to talk "Movilink".

MOVI.JPG

Just from observation, it doesn't appear this would work. The picture says it must comply to the "Movilink protocol" which i assume is SEW's own protocol. It looks like you can get add on adapters to talk Ethernet I/P to the Compactlogix. It also looks like Red Lions DSP is a configurable gateway to talk "Movilink".

Thank you for the observation. I didn't see that information.

dginbuffalo said:
...The picture says it must comply to the "Movilink protocol" which i assume is SEW's own protocol. It looks like you can get add on adapters to talk Ethernet I/P to the Compactlogix...

Yes, that's correct.

We have several machines using SEW MOVIMOT drives communicating with 1769-L32E CompactLogix controllers, but they each have a fieldbus MFD module attached, which use the DeviceNet protocol. They are slaves to a 1769-SDN at each CompactLogix. However, before we got the DeviceNet modules, we had investigated using the built-in RS-485 ports to talk directly to the controllers, but were advised against it by SEW, as they reckoned it was substandard to the fieldbus modules option - something we had thought ourselves before contacting them.

The MOVILINK protocol is indeed proprietary to SEW. Page 58 in your linked PDF only shows the wiring between the MOVIMOT and any controlling device that supports RS-485, but the controller must also be able to "talk" MOVILINK, which of course the CompactLogix cannot.

If you read Chapter 7: "Easy" startup with RS485 interface/fieldbus, it goes into great detail about the communication setup between the MOVIMOT and the Master. Specifically, on page 125, you will see the note that dginbuffalo kindly posted up, stating how the Master must comply with the MOVILINK protocol.

Once such compliant fieldbus interface is the MOVIFIT-MC. This acts as an interface between the MOVIMOT drives and the controller. You can wire 3 x MOVIMOT drives to 1 x MOVIFIT-MC, using RS-485 and the MOVILINK protocol. You use the interface in "Transparent Mode". The MOVIFIT-MC can then be connected to the controller using Ethernet and the EtherNet/IP, or Modbus/TCP protocol.

The MOVIFIT interface is available with three function levels: Classic, Technology or System. You need the Technology level minimum to use Ethernet.

Here is the manual:

MOVIFIT Function Level "Technology" with EtherNet/IP or Modbus/TCP interface

Chapter 11 - pages 99-102 outline the data that is passed between the MOVIMOT drives and the MOVIFIT-MC interface.

Chapter 6 describes in detail how to add the MOVIFIT interface into your RSLogix 5000 project for a 1769-L32E CompactLogix controller, using the Generic Ethernet Module.

You would need 4 x MOVIFIT-MC interfaces for the 12 MOVIMOT drives.

This is probably going to be the second best option available to you, with the direct fieldbus interfaces being the best option.

I've no experience with the Redlion gateway that dginbuffalo and jstolaruk have mentioned, but that could be a viable option as well?

Regards,
George

Yes, that's correct.

We have several machines using SEW MOVIMOT drives communicating with 1769-L32E CompactLogix controllers, but they each have a fieldbus MFD module attached, which use the DeviceNet protocol. They are slaves to a 1769-SDN at each CompactLogix. However, before we got the DeviceNet modules, we had investigated using the built-in RS-485 ports to talk directly to the controllers, but were advised against it by SEW, as they reckoned it was substandard to the fieldbus modules option - something we had thought ourselves before contacting them.

The MOVILINK protocol is indeed proprietary to SEW. Page 58 in your linked PDF only shows the wiring between the MOVIMOT and any controlling device that supports RS-485, but the controller must also be able to "talk" MOVILINK, which of course the CompactLogix cannot.

If you read Chapter 7: "Easy" startup with RS485 interface/fieldbus, it goes into great detail about the communication setup between the MOVIMOT and the Master. Specifically, on page 125, you will see the note that dginbuffalo kindly posted up, stating how the Master must comply with the MOVILINK protocol.

Once such compliant fieldbus interface is the MOVIFIT-MC. This acts as an interface between the MOVIMOT drives and the controller. You can wire 3 x MOVIMOT drives to 1 x MOVIFIT-MC, using RS-485 and the MOVILINK protocol. You use the interface in "Transparent Mode". The MOVIFIT-MC can then be connected to the controller using Ethernet and the EtherNet/IP, or Modbus/TCP protocol.

The MOVIFIT interface is available with three function levels: Classic, Technology or System. You need the Technology level minimum to use Ethernet.

Here is the manual:

MOVIFIT Function Level "Technology" with EtherNet/IP or Modbus/TCP interface

Chapter 11 - pages 99-102 outline the data that is passed between the MOVIMOT drives and the MOVIFIT-MC interface.

Chapter 6 describes in detail how to add the MOVIFIT interface into your RSLogix 5000 project for a 1769-L32E CompactLogix controller, using the Generic Ethernet Module.

You would need 4 x MOVIFIT-MC interfaces for the 12 MOVIMOT drives.

This is probably going to be the second best option available to you, with the direct fieldbus interfaces being the best option.

I've no experience with the Redlion gateway that dginbuffalo and jstolaruk have mentioned, but that could be a viable option as well?

Regards,
George

Thanks Geospark for an Excellent explanation.

Since I have been using Siemens most of the time, I'm not very familiar with Ethernet/IP and Devicenet, I will probably be using AS-I communication since it is a communication type that I have used many times in the past.

I want to thank you all again, for all the help you gave me.

If you have a preference for using Ethernet media, and are more Siemens savvy, then you could use the available PROFINET fieldbus interface (MFE). If not, ASi it is.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot you are connecting to AB, not SIEMENS controller. PROFINET won't work with AB controllers directly, but while the light bulb is on...

You will need an ASi scanner module at the Compactlogix. We have such a thing on another machine to an L32E, but the name escapes me right now, Weidermann or something to that effect? I'll check it in work later.

Regards,
George

Last edited: