moving timer acc. values

Handcraftedsince87

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good afternoon,
I have been programing more in my spare time trying to get back in the swing of things since I've really just been doing a lot of maintaining, and have recently acquired more responsibilities. I have a program in RS logix 500 which I will attach that does almost everything I want it to do on my test bench, with the switches and lights I have hooked up. Its supposed to emulate a garage door. Push button door goes up, light blinks until door is all the way up (6 sec). Push down, light blinks until door is all the way down etc. I also have a trip beam that will send the door back up if it is interrupted on the way down. My problem is trying to set the acc. value of the timer correctly against the value of the down timer so that when the trip beam is triggered the timing is correct. I have a mov instruction sending the file to an N: file and have tried a few different times but cant seem to get it straightened out. I'm trying to emulate having everything in "Time" and not waiting 6 seconds for the door to go back up if it's only been going down for 3 seconds etc.

Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I've attatched files before, but now it won't let me. When I open the window it won't let me "browse". It blinks but nothing opens when I click it. Anyone have any ideas?

Instead of moving in an acc value have you considered writing a new preset to the up timer that was the acc value of the down timer?
I.e
Rising edge of beam input
ONS MOV down timer .ACC to N7:a
ONS MOV N7:a to up timer .PRE
Door goes up

I can appreciate that you are just simulating a garage door program, but you do seem to be going all the way with your UP/DOWN buttons and safety reversing sensor, etc.

I'm just wondering if your understanding is clear of how an actual garage door would be controlled with regard to the UP/DOWN function?

Are you purposely using a timebase to indicate when a direction in travel is complete?

Or is there something you are missing here?

What would normally be used to indicate a direction in travel is successfully complete?

If you do know and are just using a timebase for convenience, or an overtravel feature on your simulator, then forgive me, but from the above that fact is not clear, to me.

It is still important to know how to manipulate Timer instructions. So your question, even if it does turn out to be misguided for this application, is still a good one.

Let us know on the UP/DOWN please so we can be sure you have a proper understanding of how it should normally work.

Regards,
George

Thanks for the input. I have tried moving the value to a N: folder and using one shots, but I think I didn't have it configured right and need to mess with it a little further. I was just hoping to hear I was going down the right path with that idea. I'll try again this afternoon.

As far as how a garage door works, I'm assuming there would be some kind of an actual switch for the "full up" and "full down" position. At least that's how I would set something up in the field.. It wouldn't be relying on timers. That being said, I'm just trying to simulate all of this on a test box I made with switches and lights etc. The timer logic is strictly to simulate the timing of the garage door on a test box with lights and switches mounted in it. I realize that an actual garage door wouldn't rely on them. Hope that's what you were referring to. If not, then please advise.

Thank you again for your input.

Regards

Correct, separate up and down timers. I think my issue might be because I was doing the MOV of the down timer .ACC into the up timer .PRE. Didn't have time to mess with it yesterday, hopefully will have time today.

Thanks again

edit: what I meant to say was I was using MOV for down timer ACC to up timer ACC. Need to try MOV to up timer PRE instead of ACC. Still haven't had time to tinker with it.

Take a file and continuisly move the ACC of the down timer into it as long as the timer is running. If the beam is broken the timer stops. now take the value from the file move it into the preset of the control up time and use it to raise the door.

OK, figured it out. I needed to 1.) MOV to the .pre, instead of the .acc, and 2.) I needed to add more instructions to keep the .pre where it needed to be when the trip lite wasn't true. Thanks for the help!

Here's a state machine version I worked up, if you're interested. It runs on the Emulator 500.