MSG between CompactLogix And Micrologix 1400

italo2008

Hi all
I'm trying to setup a MSG connection (which I'm not familiar to) between a CompactLogix CPU (L310ER) and a Micrologix 1400 CPU. At the moment I don't have access to the remote CPU (micrologix) but only to my CPU (CompactLogix)

I have found some tutorials that show how to set MSG instructions in the compact logix.

the question is: setting up the MSGs instructions (in order to read and in order to write) in the Compact logix side is the only possibility? In other words: Micrologix CPUs can set up a MSG instructions in order to write and read in/to a CompactLogix CPU?

thank you

You can do it either way, but the Micrologix is incapable of accessing the native tag files in the Compactlogix directly. The Micrologix only "knows" file numbers and element types. So, to allow the Micrologix to host the MSG instruction, you would have to set up PLC/SLC mapping in the Compactlogix so that it could respond to the Micrologix MSG instruction.

It will be easier to add a MSG in the Compactlogix to communicate with the Micrologix since the Compactlogix software provides options to talk to legacy hardware. You will choose "SLC Typed Read" or "SLC Typed Write" for the Message Type, and then you can enter a Micrologix data file address as the Source Element.

EDIT: I see you did include the Compactlogix part number in your post.
The path setting in the MSG instruction is the only tricky part, and different families of Compactlogix have different paths.

Your L310ER has two ethernet ports that can be operated in different modes. If you're using them in Dual-IP mode, the path prefix for each of them will be 3 or 4 depending on which port you are using, followed by a comma and then the IP address of the Micrologix.

Last edited: