MSG instruction with 22-comm-e

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm using a PLC5/05 to send a speed reference for a VFD.

I'm having trouble connecting to the remote drive. I can connect with CCW, can ping, etc and I have another MSG instruction reading from another controller, but I just can not seem to get this MSG read instruction set up to read from N41:0 on the drive so I can get the status information.

I'm getting "error d8: connection is broken"

What Operating System and Firmware Revision are in the SLC-5/05 controller ?

It's possible that it's more than 15 years old or so, and does not support the specific messaging format (called "PCCC encapsulation in CIP") that the 22-COMM-E uses to talk to modern controllers. I think the firmware has to be at least OS501, FRN 5.

Post the details of how you've configured the MSG instruction.

You mention both a Write ("sending a Speed Reference") and a Read ("get the status information").

I would start with the Read first, because it's possible also that the 22-COMM-E won't accept a Write to the speed reference if you have not also set the Command Timeout to a nonzero value.

Also (and this is more likely, now that I think of it) be sure to set up the MSG as "Multi-Hop" so that it uses CIP, not CSPv4 protocol.

I will try multihop. I'm not sure of the FWR at the moment, but I know the OS is 501. I wonder if I can use ControlFlash on a 5/05.

I'm at home now, so I'll update tomorrow but it is quite possible that this processor is 15 years old, or at least right around in that range.

I DID try a write message into N42:3 for the value of 5 and I still had the same problem.

The message configuration is for single-hop, SLC500 processor. I did try all 3 options I was presented with for message type, but still no dice. I didn't see anything for CIP. I also paid close attention to data lengths as well, but I was wondering why I couldn't find anything that led me to PCCC. No wonder I was so confused.

Will update tomorrow.

If the MSG instruction shows "Multi-Hop" as a selectable option, then it's capable of CIP messaging.

When you select "Multi-Hop" and configure that tab, you're telling the SLC-5/05 to use CIP protocol. That's what you need to communicate with a 22-COMM-E.

I would have chosen a different label or terminology, but that's the way it works.

So, that fixed the problem I was having actually communicating with the VFD. Thanks a ton! Now I am having a issue:

Error: Request is too large; transaction size plus word address is too large.

I'll dig more into this, but obviously something isn't sized right. Does the MSG instruction use the max ethernet packet size, as would I have to do a block transfer to get a block of data rather than use MSG?

Also the firmware revision is 5.

I checked. Technote 40933 states that you can get the SLC5/05 firmware and use controlflash to upgrade the firmware, however when I downloaded the package it only gave me firmware for series c controllers. I don't want to brick this processor, so I'll get ahold of tech support and see whats up before doing a firmware upgrade unless someone can send me the firmware for 1747-l551 series A.

Last edited:
Also, in addition I am now controlling the drive, so I'll have a bit more background to do, then I can install this into our main chain. Thanks again for the help Ken.