Multiple conveyor sequence start and interlock?

We do it this way:
Make a SEPARATE routine for every motor.
Every single UNIT MOTOR requires the following Lets call this 1 section/motor "Unit10":

Unit10_ENABLE: General bit which allows Unit10 to start. Can contain a system START bit, an E-STOP bit, ect.

Unit10_Motor_RUN: this is tied to the physical output that pulls in the motor starter.

Unit10_AUX: Input module point from Motor starter Aux (Logic: Timer if Motor10 is on for 1 second and Motor123_AUX is off then LATCH Unit10_Motor_FAULT bit)

Unit10-_Charge_ENABLE: bit telling upstream conveyor it is ok to release product to Unit10 Conveyor. This is typically tied to Discharge_ENABLE bit on upstream Unit09 logic.

Unit10_Discharge_ENABLE: bit telling Unit10 it is ok to run and release product onto downstream Unit11.

Unit10_Charge_Enable_TIMER: Timer that will delay the start of the Upstream Unit09. These delays will cause several units to start in sequence one after another.

Unit10_PHOTOEYE: used for jam purposes. If photoeye is blocked for 6 seconds WHILE Motor10_AUX is on then Latch JAM bit.

Unit10_JAM: bit used to signal Jam on unit. This should also turn off Unit10_Charge_ENABLE

Unit10_Jam_RESET: Pushbutton or other bit to reset Unit10_JAM latch
Unit10_Motor_Fault_RESET: Pushbutton or other bit to reset Unit10_Motor_FAULT latch

I love a good sequencer. One array of bits to start motors and another for the time delay for each step.

Even made one once that played 'Shave and a haircut two bits' using motor starters. Engineer just rolled his eyes and walked away. Come on you have to have some fun in this business.

I prefer to have a subroutine to verify that each sensor input is pulsing to make sure that the conveyor is running and the sensor wire is not shorted or bypassed/jumpered.

Last edited: