Multiple ML1400s

Tom@Pton

Is it possible to have multiple ML 1400s (at least 2) communicate with each other via a local network?

I did not know how to ask the question at AB.com

Thanks

Hi,

Yes - it's reasonably straight forward. You need to use a message instruction [MSG] and set up either a read or write depending which device you need to send data to or from (a READ is typically used as it uses less communication overhead, but this may not suit your application). Set up the 'multi hop' tab to point to the IP address of the destination ML1400.

Should at least get you started!

Regards,

Rob

Tom,
The MSG instruction can be a bit overwhelming when you do it for the first time. Once you have done it once you will see that it isn't as difficult as you thought it was. At least that is my experience. If you can get your hands on the ML1400 and set them up in your office or shop, you will see it works pretty slick.
Good luck,

I have used MSG before between some VFDs and a 1500. Long enough ago I will have to relearn. I do have a small setup in my shop I use for practice and testing before install.

Tom,

If you have a TechConnect Support Contract with Rockwell then this technote may be of assistance to you...

32926 - MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 Controllers MSG over Ethernet
Access Level: TechConnect

While it specifically deals with messaging between a MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 over Ethernet, it is basically the same setup as using two MicroLogix 1400.

I do hope you can access it and I do hope it helps.

Regards,
George

Tom,

If you have a TechConnect Support Contract with Rockwell then this technote may be of assistance to you...

32926 - MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 Controllers MSG over Ethernet
Access Level: TechConnect

While it specifically deals with messaging between a MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 over Ethernet, it is basically the same setup as using two MicroLogix 1400.

I do hope you can access it and I do hope it helps.

Regards,
George

I do have the support, that link should speed things up.

Thank you.