N00b question: How to code with encoders using RsLogix500?

KSrpr

Hello Guys,

First off Happy Holidays!
(edit: I am using Rslogix5000 not 500. sorry!)
I am a beginner programmer trying to sort out some code using an encoder. I have never worked with one before and I do not have any resources to learn from so in short I'm lost. I think I understand the mechanics of how it works.

The general question: Are there any possible resources that you could refer to me?

The specific task I'm working on is that I am trying to use the encoder through the code to send out a rising edge pulse for every unit of measurement (in this case an inch)

Thanks,
KSrpr

Welcome (back) to the Forum !

Just Google "quadrature encoder tutorial" and you'll find a bunch of decently readable documents about the basics of how encoders work.

Do you already have this encoder, or are you doing the research to select it ?

What kind of input module do you have ?

Is this a ControlLogix or a CompactLogix controller ?

Generally the pulses coming in from an encoder are too fast for the ordinary PLC input modules and program scan to keep up, so there are special high-speed input modules and encoder input modules.

Some of them are meant to react to encoder counts or speeds by turning on local outputs, and some are meant to integrate with the ControlLogix motion control subsystem.

Once you know the rotary shaft speed and the number of pulses per revolution of your encoder, you can figure out what sort of input reaction speed you need from your input module.

Last edited: