Need basic and cheap/free RSL software for 1746

chipxmas

I had a PLC class 7 years ago and I want to relearn it by building my own PLC. I have been collecting modules, CPU, power supply, and rack. The big hurdle seems to be the software (RSLogix500, RSLogix5000, RSLinx, etc). I don't know the difference or what I really need. Suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

First point - full part numbers will help you get more accurate answers to your questions.

Your title mentions 1746, so I'm going to assume you're building up an SLC chassis. SLC controllers require RSLogix 500 Starter or higher to program. This software isn't cheap, and if you find it cheap, it's probably not legal.

There is a free version of RSLogix 500, with which you can program MicroLogix 1000 and MicroLogix 1100 controllers. If it were me, I'd spend my money on a MicroLogix 1100 rather than spending it on the software - then you've got a current-series processor, with onboard I/O, power supply and ethernet, and it'll probably cost you less than the software for the SLC.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd suggest you bypass RSLogix 500 altogether. Get yourself a 1769-L16ER-BB1B Compact Logix (again, I/O, power supply and ethernet onboard) and a copy of Studio 5000. The new hardware/software is programmed quite differently to the old, and while it's beneficial to know both, the Compact/Control Logix series and Studio 5000/Logix Designer is the way of the future. Of course, a Compact Logix and Studio 5000 will NOT come cheap - but if you've got money to burn, that's where I'd be pointing you.

Studio 5000 will NOT come cheap

And as far as I know, there is no way of getting a demo version to at least get familiar with the GUI of the software in case you will need it for work and want to spend some time by yourself looking into it.

And as others mentioned, I did contact their official distributors only to be told to download a copy of RSLogix500.

I think you have wasted your time and money in assembling these "1746" parts. I agree with ASF that it would be better to bypass SLC500 alltogether and go straight for a CompactLogix and Studio 5000, if you can afford it.

If you cannot afford it, then maybe look besides AB. There are other brands that have less expensive software and hardware, and with modern programming concepts. Some even have starter-kit bundles with software and hardware at discounted prices.

I'm probably into this project less than $100 so far, and my students are trained (not by me) on an SLC500. So I thought that would make the most sense. Plus, that's what I was trained on. I will entertain the idea of a different platform, but I'm not gonna ebay this stuff just yet.

This is what I have so far:
1746-A13 rack
1747-L514 B SLC 5/01 CPU
1746-P1 Power supply

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I'm thinking it will either become part of an overengineered hot tub system for my back yard, or it will control the radiant heat for a concrete porch I'm going to pour this summer to melt winter snow.

Minimum 9324-RL0100ENE RSLogix 500 Starter Offline/Online Programming $1350.00 List. (No Online Edits, No online cross-reference, No program compare, No data table compare, No custom data monitor, etc.- just to list a few of the most used features)

You will also need a USB-to-Serial adapter to connect the RSLogix 500 running PC to the CPU.

For full software functionality 9324-RL0300ENE RSLogix 500 Standard Edition Offline/Online Programming $2540.00 List

You will also need a USB-to-Serial adapter to connect the RSLogix 500 running PC to the CPU.
1747-L514 B SLC 5/01 CPU
A USB-to-serial will not suffice. SLC5/01 has DH485 only. And besides that is practically worthless.

Minimum 9324-RL0100ENE RSLogix 500 Starter Offline/Online Programming $1350.00 List.
[..]
For full software functionality 9324-RL0300ENE RSLogix 500 Standard Edition Offline/Online Programming $2540.00 List
Makes no sense to get software for thousands of $ for something that is basically worthless.

Get an ML1100 (~300$ on ebay), and the free RSLogix 500 Starter for ML1000/ML1100. You can distribute to your students.
Then you even have online edits, and ethernet connectivity.

He said he has a SLC 5/01, which if memory serves correctly, only have a RJ-45 connector that is DH-485. Therefore, he would need a 1747-UIC which run around $400. Eventhough the port inside the SLC 5/01 LOOKS like an ethernet port it most defiantly is not. DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A PC NETWORK CARD.

A 5/01 also does does not have floating points and many other features that have been commonplace for the last 20+ years. You would be much better off finding a used Micro1100 a couple hundred bucks on Ebay and have free programming software, ethernet connections, online edits, built in digital inputs, digital outputs, analog inputs, and possible highspeed counter if you get the 24VDC versions.

Learning to program PLCs on a SLC 5/01 is like learning to drive using a 3-speed on the column. It can be done, but why waist the time and money when you should be focusing more on learning how to drive.

Start over with a Click. Free software, multiple ports, up to 7 expansion cards. Get the whole sh-bang with I/O cards cheaper than you can legally get software cables and I/O cards for a 5/01:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...lers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)

You can get there from the link above but it has actually been taken down by AD.

Here is the link to the click page on AD site.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...lers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)

Also have a look at the new BRX series that program with the Do-More software which is also free. (Just don't forget to order the order the I/O terminal kits also if you go this route, they are a separate part #. Learned this the hard way.)

https://www.automationdirect.com/do-more/brx/index

But if you are a die hard Allen Bradley guy, then just get a Micrologix 1100 controller and download the free RSLogix500 microstarter lite software.
It will look and function just like what you are use to programming your SLC with.
The 1100 has on board Ethernet so nothing special needed to get up and running.

Idec is a decent option. Free software, free support, dozens of options, inexpensive PLC's starting around $285.00. Simple I/O start around $65-$85 each. ( all in one bricks for about a $100.00 more)

AB also offers a dialed down version of RS5K (light) for about $850.00 ( ladder only )

Best of luck