Need help with for/rev. motor control logic

Okay, with Bernie's great summary, and Okie's and other's relevant comments, I have summarized the specifications so far, and modified your program to create two latches, LEFT BIN FULL B3:0/5, and RIGHT BIN FULL B3:0/6.

Because you only have one BIN FULL I:0/17 for TWO BINS, I think you will need this (or similar) logic for the program to keep up with WHICH BIN HAS BEEN FILLED. Otherwise it will be like a dog chasing its tail back and forth.

Like Okie said, using state logic to step through each phase of the cycle would help make clear how the machine works, but in the interest of making it easy for you to see the necessary changes, I left the rungs in the same order that you had them.

I did not "Verify" the rungs that I changed so that you can easily find the additions, and I named this version "Revision 1". Please modify as needed, and all comments, criticisms, and improvements are always welcomed.

EDIT: Thinking some more, I added one more relay B3:0/7, that keeps the head on the Left Bin side until that bin is full.

Last edited:
I think Run 0009 needs changing. I think that once an empty bin is in position, the Filler Down Motor should run and move the Filler to the bottom of the empty bin. At that time, the Filler Down Motor needs to be locked out so that it cannot run again until the next empty bin is put in place. As it is now, I think as soon as the Filler Up motor moves the Filler off of the Filler Down Prox switch (as the bin fills from bottom to top), the Filler down motor will try to come on again (when it should not).

Lance1 thanks for help .. I finally got it going .. yea I modified rung 09.. thanks for your feedback it really helped.
Thanks everybody for the replies. It was a good leaning experience.

I am glad that you got it running. What did you put on Rung 0009?

This proves again that PLC programs for machine systems have to be looked at with the forest view, not the tree view. Trying to troubleshoot using only 1 or 2 posted rungs does not usually help find the logic problems on a machine.

Last edited: