Need help with for/rev. motor control logic

But theoretically it could fill a bin on the left then fill a bin on the right without the bin on the left being removed. Then if the bin on the right is removed and replaced with an empty bin it should stay where it is and just fill it.

Sometimes I think "I'd just like to be there and just do this". But then Mr. Electrician wouldn't learn and that's the point of this exercise.

How did I ever learn PLCs without an internet forum? Oh yeah, books and trial and error.

Hmmm, yeah, ok, I guess I don't know the full picture.

(At least I renamed the "E-stop" because I think this is really just a normal stop button).
Then if the bin on the right is removed and replaced with an empty bin it should stay where it is and just fill it.
I agree, and apparently the fill mechanism is controlled elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yes. That's the way I have it programmed bow and its running but have to push PB everytime.
Well, the seal in aroudn the PB is the motor output, so when the motor stops...you lose the seal...

Did you want it to repeat the process until you press the opposite PB?

You need to flowchart or statement list this process, and then apply some structure to get more predictable results.

EDIT: My slow internet caused me to skip page 2 of this thread with my first read...

Still I recommend a state engine for this...two flowcharts (one for modes and one for machine states) with a few easy to define transition definitions and standard code that you can whip out in a couple hours after you learn the structure, which, in my opinion, is worthwhile for anything that has more than 2 or 3 states or anything other than one or two decisions in the sequence.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=52654&highlight=state+machine

Last edited:
this is not AB but the theory is the same

The only issue here is -
It needs an 'Anti Repeat' on the Box Full Prox

this means tht the Box Full Prox must be off before the box can return

THIS PROGRAM WILL GO FROM LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT CONTINUOUSLY
SO THE ANTI REPEAT MUST BE PROGRAMMED

layout.jpg

Thanx for ur replies. I tried everything i could think of and whatever you guys suggested but i could not get this thing running.
I am posting the whole project file hopefully you guys can help me.
Sorry folks I am a begginer i took this very first project and i am really confused now.

Mr Electrican, Do you know how to add rung comments? this would help everyone as well as you to understand what your trying to do sometimes just adding these will give you a clearer picture of what your trying do do. Thanks, Steve

From your ladder I deduce, once the system is started (by the way, nothing should happen until the buzzing stops but the action starts immediately) the following is your goal:

1. An 'in-feed belt' is on continuously.

2. Once a bin is in place on one side the filler head moves to that side.

3. Once it is place the 'filler D motor' moves the filler head down until the 'filler down prox' makes

4. At that point the 'finger belt' (which I assumes delivers product) and the 'rotation plate motor' turn on. The bin is rotating and being filled.

5. As 'filling prox' detects that the product in the bin has risen to a given level the 'filler U motor' is turned on intermittently (as the prox turns on then off) slowly raising the end the filler head to gently deliver product into the rotating bin.

6. Once the filler head has risen to the level of 'filler up prox' the rotation plate stops. When the 'bin full' input turns on the 'finger belt' turns off. (It's unclear in which order the previous two actions take place. I'll have to assume that the rotating stops but the filling continues until the 'bin full' input turns on.)

At this point you are probably thinking that a bin can be placed in the other station and the action will continue by the head moving to that side.

There is only one 'rotation plate motor'. Does this rotate both bins (left and right)? How would a bin which is full but possibly rotating because the other bin is now being filled be removed?

We still have the problem that a bin which is empty appears to the head movement logic exactly the same as a bin which has just been filled.

A question which hasn't been asked - does the system work properly as described if just one bin is in place?

Also, I get a sense that this was originally a program for a fixed position filler and that the left/right filler head motion is now being added.

Last edited:
No this bin filler is designed by a european company which is not in business anymore and it used to work fine with all those functions.
Then someone washed down my panel and it burnt the whole thing so i could get anything from that plc.
Whatever i am doing now is to make it do whatever it used to be. I built the whole panel and put micrologix 1000 in it.

I am uploading a new project filer with rung comments.
And Bernie all the funtions you described are right.
Thats exactly what my goal is.

Ahh, very good. What is the product?
Does the whole turnstyle mechanism shift linearly back and forth over top of each bin? Or (more likely) do the bins index into position under the "filler head"?
How long does it take to fill each bin?
This machine is begging for loadcells under each basket.

Now, open that bitmap in Paint.net and create four or five new layers so you can add labels and addresses before you import that into your HMI ;)

Is there a flap door under the vertical basket conveyor that we can't see?

Last edited:
okie, tanks for the tip "Paint.net" justdown loaded is that where you edited all the rain off the weather map down here? Thanks, steve

I see, the 'rotation plate motor' is not rotating the bin but the distributing part of the filling mechanism. So my question about removing a rotating bin is moot.

Mr electrican, i think we are starting to talk apples to apples. cant wait to see the doccumented rungs. It is good practice to do this on every project.simply puting your process in writing is the best place to start in my opinon