Need to add new CPU to Step7

John Gaunt

I have ordered a new CPU for a new project. It is not covered in my Step7 (V5.3 SP1). I understand I can download an update for my hardware configuration catalogue. I got on a Siemens website, filled in lots of forms and it "bombed" out with an error.
Does anybody have a link to where I need to get to?

In STEP7 Hardware Configuration, select Options .. Install HW Updates. There will appear a dialog where you can select to Download from the Internet.

The problem may be that newer CPU versions are tied to the STEP7 version to some extent. In the list of HW updates that will appear, there is a column "STEP7 version". Your STEP7 version must at least have the level that the HW update in question requires.

Thanks JesperMP,
Unfortunately, the two computers for this project are now on their way to Thailand. I have deliberately set them up as fully locked up and NOT providing internet access.
Is there some way to get the HWconfig catalogue update in a form that I can take to Thailand and apply?

Yes, quite simply, when you download HW updates from the internet, they get stored in a directory, C:\HWUpdates (if you havent specified a different directory). Simply copy the directory to the other computers, then run "Install HW Updates" on the other computers and select "copy from disk".

Thanks JesperMP,
I have followed your directions and downloaded several Hardware Updates to a folder C:\HWUpdates but they do not appear in the form window that would enable me to apply them.
Presumably I am doing something wrong but I have tried several times and cannot see any options that I have missed.
Any suggestions?

John Gaunt, how did you download files? Did you use Install HW updates option in STEP 7 or...?
How big your update folder is after download?

Hi John.

In my STEP7 v5.4 the sequence is like this.
When you activate Install HW Updates, a Window appears where you must choose between Download from Internet and Copy from disk. When you chose the latter, a dialog opens where you must point to the folder where the update files and the file hspcontents.xml resides.
Maybe this dialog is different in older versions of STEP7.

Thanks JesperMP,
With my dialogue in Step7 it is just the same as you describe but after downloading the updates sucessfully to the folder HWUpdates there is nothing displayed on the form to install.

I have opened the file hspcontents.xml and can see several CPU's listed but there is also a line indicating they are for Step7 V5.3 SP2.

It looks like I will need to upgrade my Step7 to 5.3 SP2. I deal with Siemens Singapore and have contacted them for an update CD. The update download is 500mb which would be very slow on my satelite internet connection.

Now a friend has lent me an original CD
STEP 7 Professional Edition 2004 SR4
includes:
STEP7 V5.3 incl SP3
S7 Graph V5.3 incl SP2
S7 SCL V5.3 incl SP1
S7 PLCSIM V5.3 incl SP1

Now, if I install Step7 V5.3 SP3 will it work with my existing STEP7 V5.3 license ?

On examining the CD I find the folder
STEP7_Prof_1005 / STEP7 /SP3 /
In folder SP3 there is another folder Disk1 and a file
Step7SP3.ssf
If I run Step7SP3.ssf will it install Step7 5.3 SP3 ?
Will it work with my existing license ?

Hi John.

Yes a license for v5.3 will work even with SP's and HF's added.

It is another story if the STEP7 Pro software can be used with STEP7 Basis. Some say no problem and other say dont do it. My own experience is that I once did the same as you, and subsequently STEP7 demanded a "Pro" license.
So, I suggest that you download the servicepack for STEP7 Basis from Siemens support. Just to be sure. SP's and HF's are available for free.

I really warn against fiddling with the install program for STEP7. The installation routine is so complex with ties to many other programs that you can mess things seriously up.