Need to win a bet

Other card cleaning methods?

Low pressure (<30 psi) clean, dry air is ok if the stuff on the board is also dry. If it is oily, I tend to use a non-flamable solvent to wash the board (tricloroethane is gone) and then heat the board for a few hours at about 120 F in an oven. This seems to work well.
Does anyone have any other methods not mentioned so far?

Thomas

Gee, I thought that they were suppose to be water cooled. :sick:

I never let my guys clean MCC's, transformers, or control cabinates with mill air. My reasoning was that in most cases, this just blows the dirt to the hardest to get to places, and does not get the dirt out of the box.

I once cleaned a 20 hp DC motor with soapy water, then followed with air and then motor cleaner. It was still running five years later. A grease monkey decided to grease the bearings in the motor with a powered grease gun. The motor cought fire, and we did not have a spare on hand.

Another bubba pulled the same trick on a 300 HP 480VAC motor. A night gaurd walking by saw the motor on fire, grabbed a firehose, and sprayed the motor down. The motor shaft was bent a very pretty 90 degrees, the feet were ripped off, and the motor landed next to the gaurd with the firehose. It had been 12 feet above. The gaurd was still shaking when I got there. 2" flex does not support the weight of a 300 HP motor. It tried, but just wasn't up to the task. :D

plchacker said:
2" flex does not support the weight of a 300 HP motor. It tried, but just wasn't up to the task. :D

I would suggest supporting a dangling 300HP motor with at least 4" flex. Consult NEC for the tables to properly size this.

The 90 degree motor shaft should still work well if you are trying to turn something around a corner...

Jimmie_Ohio said:
I would suggest supporting a dangling 300HP motor with at least 4" flex. Consult NEC for the tables to properly size this.
QUOTE]

You are right. I think the wire size was 500. That would not fit in 2" flex. Anyway, the flex/wire did not stop the fall. This particular motor was on a blower. That was the only time I remember having to change it.