Nema 4x VFD

No, I have used the Yaskawa V7 Nema 1 drive mounted in an enclsure many times, but I have not used the V74X. Typically, I use the TB Woods X5, but since Woods has been sold to Vacon, I will most likely use the Yaskawa. Also, I checked and the V1000 series does not have a Nema 4X rated drive.

I don't know what your panel material requirements are, ours is stainless steel, but I have used Nema 4X fiberglass panels in the past to house VFDs because the fiberglass panels transfer heat much better than stainless steel or carbon steel panels, almost twice as good as stainless steel. If you can use fiberglass panels you may be able to get by without adding a fan at all. It all depends on the application.

regards

RSL said:
I just looked AB makes PowerFlex Drives in the flange mount configuration.

Is their a fan mounted externally that can/will fail?

RSL

The last several flange-mounted A-B drives didn't even have an external fan. We had some older PF700 drives that had issues with the external fan failing after a year or so. The newer style has a much larger heatsink and no external fan to fail. We've got two panels out now with this newer style, and they have been operating all summer now without any problems.

Joe

Cooling

I use venturi coolers (such as Exair) where possible as they also pressurize the cabinet, but I also mostly work with nema 12 so I've never checked if they can be used for nema 4x. A reasonably sized cabinet can likely handle a 15 hp drive without cooling. You can check using the drive manual specs and this tool: http://tools.hoffmanonline.com/index.html Know this is old but it was high in the search results so thought I'd chime in

I just looked AB makes PowerFlex Drives in the flange mount configuration.

Is their a fan mounted externally that can/will fail?

RSL
When you buy the Flange Mount version for smaller sizes, the fan on the outside is rated NEMA 4X. On larger sizes where you buy a NEMA 1 drive and a flange mount kit to adapt it, you have to replace the standard fan with a NEMA 4X rated fan, it is sold as an accessory kit. Most people fail to read the instructions to notice that, so the fans fail and they say they are ****...

Last edited: