New to PLCs and in desperate need of help.

Refinery Guy,

Do you remember what brand and model of PLC that ITT Tech used? Did it have analog inputs available?

thanks for the info. I will have to compile a list of projects and see what the teacher approves of. I am sure it will be digital since we do not use analog much in the school. The problem I am having with some project ideas is finding a schematic of how to build the darn things so they work. We have learned to read schematics and how to build from them, but not to create our own working ones. I will take your project idea with me to school also and see what the teacher has to say.

I was trying to think of some more recent projects. There was one on here by user "Cybertaz". It was the old "Simon Says" game using a PLC, about having the PLC record when a series of pushbuttons are pressed, then, when switched to "Play" mode, play them back using lights. The circuits would be easy to build, but the programming is advanced for a beginner. Search for Cybertaz, or "simon says". The thread was titled "Directsoft Project...Help!?". It was a student project, and Elevator Mike worked him through it, and he got an A in the course.

Here is a link to that thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=21781&highlight=cybertaz

Last edited:
vixen I know how frustrating it is to learn from bad teachers 20 yrs ago our company sent a few of us on a mitsubihi course run by an independant company the teacher didnt know anything about plcs so spent n early 5 days in a classroom teaching binary and theory only on the last day did we get to see the plc test rig and the teacher knew less than us when it came to coding. I wanted to learn more but just had to carry on self learning in my spare time. Thankfully our next course was ran by siemens and the training was nothing short of excellent by the end of the second week we were all happy to write small programmes.

Best of luck with your project and im sure that lots of people on this forum will help myself included.

vixen4u said:
My minimum requirements that I have to meet are:

1 signal input
1 user controlled input
1 signal output
1 user controlled output

This is not much help. We need to know if the signal input and output operate through a range, or are simply on or off.

What are some of the approved projects? That might be of some help.

BTW: thanks for the water level controler link. I may build that with my students. It does look like a fun project.

Last edited:
I wish I could tell you more about what they want but that is all they even gave us. I hope you have fun with the water level controller. I love building circuits they are fun and some are very interesting.

Some approved projects done in the last two graduating classes was a traffic light, security doors, robotic arm, matrix led display, and a conveyer belt welder, garage door, elevator all the students however where able to create there own circuits becuase they have working in the field already. Hence we are all trying to do something different since every graduating class has has a least one student do the traffic lights and garage door.

Lancie1 said:
I was trying to think of some more recent projects. There was one on here by user "Cybertaz". It was the old "Simon Says" game using a PLC, about having the PLC record when a series of pushbuttons are pressed, then, when switched to "Play" mode, play them back using lights. The circuits would be easy to build, but the programming is advanced for a beginner. Search for Cybertaz, or "simon says". The thread was titled "Directsoft Project...Help!?". It was a student project, and Elevator Mike worked him through it, and he got an A in the course.

Here is a link to that thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=21781&highlight=cybertaz

thank you it does look interesting and challenging I will take it to the teacher with my list and see what he thinks :)

So, if past projects have been elevators, garage door opener, conveyors, and so on, then you do not have to actually build a working model, but merely draw a schematic diagram and program the PLC?

thank you it does look interesting and challenging I will take it to the teacher with my list and see what he thinks
What if it is the same teacher that Cybertaz had? Whoa!

From his description and yours, it sounds exactly like the same class! No info, no help, no feedback, and a lot of student fear! How sad, this should be a fun and interesting course.

Last edited:
they all have working models that they put on display at the school and is manditory to do. So for anything I want it has to be able to be built and it has to work.

Yeah after reading about the class is almost sounds the same lol. Only did he have to physically build the model it looks like he had to do programming and show that is worked. I might of missed the post though about him having to build the actual project.

Last edited:
Base on the projects that have been approved, you have a lot more inputs and outputs available. So, if you are not limited to two inputs and two outputs, there is a lot you can do.

Instead of thinking in terms of building an electronic circuit, try thinking in terms of some common device that needs controls. A dishwasher for example. There are several cycles based on time intervals. There is a pump, a valve to allow water in, a drain valve, a float switch and a heater. Your job is to use each of these devices to run a wash cycle.

First, the user turns the washer on.
Next add water until the float switch is made.
Then run the washer pump.
Then drain the soapy water,
and so on.

The dishwasher is only an example. But your thought process should be similar.

Hope this helps.

PLCHacker,
The programming would be great, but it might be hard to build a physical model of a dishwasher. However, I have found that moving water around from one tank to another works well in a model. Perhaps a simulation of a municipal water storage tank, two pumps, system on/off switch, and simulated "water users" (drain valve into another tank)? That should take care of the required inputs and outputs, and the programming can be expaned to include two pumps, with an alternator (flip-flop) circuit to switch the pumps to provide for even wear.

Last edited:
Teacher finally got my email he said we are using

Allen-Bradley SLC500 now to find info on that :) and hopefully a manual

Last edited: