New to PLCs and in desperate need of help.

You mentioned conveyors. Here is a package-handling conveyor project from Allen-Bradley's Pico PLC site. It could be built as a model.

So, you are using a SLC500. Too bad that your instructor did not give you the model number! Knowing school systems, it is probably a SLC 502, and it probably is a model 1747-L524. The bottling spreadhseet I posted earlier is for this SLC 502. The package hadling conveyor can be easily programmed for a SLC 501 or 502.

Here is a link to the Rockwell Automation Literature Library, SLC500. What you want is on the 2nd page, SLC500 User Manuals:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/browse_results.hcst?lineTitle=SLC%20500%20System&familyTitle=Programmable%20Logic%20Controllers&categoryTitle=Programmable%20Controllers&xLanguage=EN%20-%20English&CategoryId=0012&

Last edited:
I really appreciate everyones help it makes me feel little better to at least have some place to go where people know what they are talking about.

I was thinking of buying the book from this site it looks like it can help me learn better. Do you all know how the book if from this site? I have to wait till wed to order it hehe payday. Just want to make sure I am investing in something that will help me.

No, I have not used Phil Melore's book, but many have said it is useful. Phil is the Webmaster and owner of this site, an all-around great guy!

Also, check out the thread "4 green 4 red", a recent entry. It might be something that you could use for a project. I believe it has 4 input switches, and 8 outputs (lights). The wiring for a model would be easy.

Last edited:
Yeah after reading about the class is almost sounds the same lol. Only did he have to physically build the model it looks like he had to do programming and show that is worked.
Vixen, yes Cybertaz did build a model. But in his case, it only involved some pushbutton switches connected to the PLC (for Inputs). For the Output lights, I suspect that he did like many of us do: used the LED indicating lights that are built-in to the SLC500 module cards, with no additional wiring. He probably used the school lab equipment. Remember, he said the instructor "hit some buttons, and said Yup, you got it." He also had to add the Start/Stop switch back in, since he had deleted it at one time.

Last edited:
Lancie1 said:
Vixen, yes Cybertaz did build a model. But in his case, it only involved some pushbutton switches connected to the PLC (for Inputs). For the Output lights, I suspect that he did like many of us do: used the LED indicating lights that are built-in to the SLC500 module cards, with no additional wiring. He probably used the school lab equipment. Remember, he said the instructor counted off because he did not have a Start/Stop switch. He must have forgot to wire that up, because it was in the program.

Thanks will have to read the forum more I really must of missed it. You all have been a great help.

I really need to take the time out again to thank you all. I have recommended this site to the 5 students in my class so they can get some help if they need it. I have about 4 projects that I am not looking into and found a nice circuit for a simon says game and has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. I would of never gotten an idea like that if it was not for you all helping me and understanding my situation with the teacher. I have ordered the book from this site and am looking forward to doing my project now.

thank you all again and again
:)

Teacher finally got my email he said we are using Allen-Bradley SLC500 now to find info on that :) and hopefully a manual

That's all he gave you? What a geek! As every regular will tell you here, to actually program an Allen-Bradley SLC 500 (and have it run without faulting), you must know these things:

(1)The catalog number of the CPU processor, so that you can select it from a list when you first start writing the program,

(2) If it is a "modular" unit (has slots for plug-in card modules) then you must know the catalog number of each module that is plugged into the PLC rack (or a description so that you can pick the catalog number from an online list within the program). If it is a fixed unit with non-removable I/O, then the selection of the processor catalog number will automatically set the correct I/O configuration.

Without these two things, you cannot write the program offline and expect it to run first time up. You may however, start the school PLC program running at shcool, and have the processor "Read I/O Config", which will determine the I/O card configuration automatically. This is probably what your instructor expects you to do, but it means that we cannot easily help you write a working program.

It seems that most instructors do not emphasize these steps, even though in the real world, they are two of the most important first steps. I suppose it is because in the classroom, they are always dealing with the same old processor and I/O cards, and so forget that somebody, perhaps years ago, had to go in and set the thing up correctly. It may be that your instructor does not even know that these things are important, or have to be done. He may even tell you "not to mess with it, it's working". In which case, just write down the catalog numbers for the processor module (in the left-most Slot 0), and all the Input and Output cards. The catalog number is on a label on the left inside of each module, and cannot be seen without removing the module from the rack. Make sure the power is off, and unlatch the modules (small plastic catch at top and bottom) and slide it out far enough to write down the catalog number. The numbers will be something like "1747-L524" for the processor, and "1746-IA8" for the Input cards, and "1746-OW8" for the Output cards. With this info, you (or anybody helping you), can get a program up and running.

Everything you wrote I don't know what any of that is yet, but I hope this class works out and we learn all that. I do know we have 1 month to get through a 433 page book and we only meet for 1 day a week and we end up only staying for 1 hr because he is sharing a room with another class so we are rushed out. we are supposed to be there for 5 hrs. So we have alot to learn on our own. I am taking a free online basic training in PLCs and ordered the book from here not sure how long it takes to get the book hope not long. He said we have 12 inputs and 8 outputs and he wants a minimum of 4 inputs and outputs so it is not to easy to program. I am reading the forums here also to try to learn stuff also.

Everything you wrote I don't know what any of that is yet, but I hope this class works out and we learn all that. I do know we have 1 month to get through a 433 page book and we only meet for 1 day a week and we end up only staying for 1 hr because he is sharing a room with another class so we are rushed out. we are supposed to be there for 5 hrs.

I assume you, or someone, is paying for this course? Possibly with student loans etc?

This is my personal opinion but I think I would be talking to my counselor, school president, and anyone else in administration I could. You should get what you are paying for i.e. if the class should be 5 hours then you should get 5 hours, you are not getting what you have paid to receive.

This class may not be essential to your career but you should get what is offered in the curriculum i.e. if it states 5 hours with hands on training and an instructor then that is what you should recieve...push the issue, do not accept less.

The problem is that the acting dean is on vacation. We do not have a head dean just someone replacing him till they find a new one. We have complained before it does not good they just ignore it. There is no recourse to take except to teach myself the best I can. I have found alot of info on this site and on the internet that is helping me so far. I find PLCs interesting and if I really want to get a career in it there are placed to get better training and learn it. For now though I am afraid nothing we can do with this class. Teacher even complained about it only being 1 hr because of the sharing they will do nothing to fix it.
Yes I am getting student loans (arm and leg) to go to this school and I am going back in sept for networking associates degree they have great teachers for that.

Vickie,

Also check out the free downloads here. Click on "Downloads" at top of your screen, to the left of "Welcome, vixen4u". Then go to the Alllen-Bradley section, because your school PLC is an AB.