New to PLCs and PLC programming

Freddo

I would like to learn PLC programming. There isn't really a specific reason. Automation and electronics thrill me I suppose. I have all kinds of "day-dreamy" ideas of what I could do with it in my own time. What advice could you give me? I've got decent disposable income. I'm frugal and make a decent hourly wage. I will soon be taking a maintenance position where I may come into contact with and be expected to repair the mechanical side of a lot of automated devices. I may even be trained, which I'm honestly thrilled about. This is a month away but I want to spend my free time preparing myself. I'll, in all likelihood, just be a "grease-monkey," but I wouldn't mind knowing more than what's expected of me. I have a decent understanding of electronics. I've played around a little with the simulator attached to this site and have made some simple RLLs. Where to go from here?

I would be willing to spend some money on this, even if it never becomes a monetary benefit to me, though I wouldn't mind if it did.... I've even considered buying a plc just to play around with. What would any of you suggest that I buy? Any training courses anyone would recommend, books, etc?

For a start you could click on 'Learn PLCs' at the top of the page here - it is a good starting guide.

Have read a great deal

I've already read most of what's provided there. Without a real device to play with most of the reading, while understood, doesn't really stick. I think I need something to actually practice with. What would you suggest as a good starting PLC to play with? Thank you for responding so rapidly, by the way.

Automation and electronics thrill me I suppose

That is always a very good start.

A lot of us got started the way you want to - by buying a plc and software and burning the midnight oil.

Set up the plc and software and programming manual and start from page 1 and don't move on until you have fully understood page 1.

Also on a side note. Go to AutomationDirect.com their click plc is inexpensive, (under $99) and the programming software is free. You can download the software and play with that before going elsewhere.

From allen bradley i believe you can download the Micrologix programming software for free as well. Which is a version of RSlogix 500 designed only to work with their micrologix plcs.

Another popular programming software is Codesys v2. Which is also a free download. Many PLCs use this or a version of this for their programming. It also has a web based visual, which basically means you can build a HMI/GUI style webpage to use with it.

All of these can run in simulate mode

Hi Freddo, for practice you can use RSLogix Emulete from Allen Bradley (5000 or 500) and downloading the appropriate programming software (Logix500 or 5000). Also you can find a lot information in Rockwell's literature only for Allen Bradley's product.

Probably going to buy a low-mid unit from automationdirect to play around with, with the intention of doing something useful with it afterword or maybe during. I really think this is something I could consider play rather than work, if I happen to take it very far. Thanks to all who replied. This place is nifty. Reading through a lot of the threads here is entertaining and interesting. I hope to be knowledgeable enough to contribute some day.

When I was introduced to PLC programming, i used the software LOGO!. it is a really easy programming tool for beginners that uses FBD and the interface is very pleasant. I suggest you use this software until you are more experienced with programming.

Logixpro is a great simulator and learning tool available at www.thelearningpit.com

I believe there is a free trial and the full version is under 50 bucks to purchase.

Dave
I prefer the Siemens software. That's also where I started with. It's quite easy to learn the program and start an easy project. To know all the ins and outs of the program you need extually some experience, but you learn really fast. Certainly with the new Tia Portal it's convenient to work with. Because you don't have to bother with a lot of small programs.

Kind regards,

MvdVen