PLCS.NET PLC Simulator

Yes, I am aware that a person can download 8 gig of install files and take a short couple of hours to install TIA and then start trying to figure out how to use it so they can write a start stop motor control the next day.
or
Click the sim link and write the example in 10 minutes and move on with the discussion.
That's a fair criticism, if what is desired is to demo simple circuits with simulation.

Perhaps the point of the thread is that @Phil Melore might consider fixing the link to a page that says summat like "The Flash-based PLCtalk simulator has been retired; try PLCfiddle or app.plcsimulator.online."

While we are on this topic can we get a list of plc brands that come with free programming?
I'm currently a beginner learning on Zelio Soft by Schneider which seems to do a lot capabilities.
Schneiders M221 series has free programming software. I am not a huge fan mostly because of the clunky interface, but it is fairly capable.

Another brand I don't see listed very often is LS Electric. Their XG5000 plc software is completely free and actively developed. It is by far my favorite free PLC programming software.
Factorymation still has some PLCs in stock, however last I talked to them they said they were going to drop the line. It appears Automation Direct is now carrying some of it.

LS PLC
LS PLC Software

Attached is a pic of XG5000

Attachments

• Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    133.6 KB · Views: 13
Schneiders M221 series has free programming software. I am not a huge fan mostly because of the clunky interface, but it is fairly capable.

Another brand I don't see listed very often is LS Electric. Their XG5000 plc software is completely free and actively developed. It is by far my favorite free PLC programming software.
Factorymation still has some PLCs in stock, however last I talked to them they said they were going to drop the line. It appears Automation Direct is now carrying some of it.

LS PLC
LS PLC Software

Attached is a pic of XG5000
Those LS PLC's seem pretty cheap. Which would you recommend for learning on? Having the most features in a base model to include analog inputs/outputs etc.

Unfortunately, LS does not have a PLC with onboard analog that I am aware of. The one I learned with was the XBC-DR14E. It is a very basic brick PLC that has 1 option slot where you can insert a real time clock, analog I/O, and high speed counter.

The cheapest option would be this PLC with a analog option card.

Another affordable processor is the XBM-DR16S. It has 16 onboard IO and you can add up to 7 IO modules. Factorymation does not stock this model, but you can find it online from other suppliers.

Edit: Factorymation has a nice series of tutorials here.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, LS does not have a PLC with onboard analog that I am aware of. The one I learned with was the XBC-DR14E. It is a very basic brick PLC that has 1 option slot where you can insert a real time clock, analog I/O, and high speed counter.

The cheapest option would be this PLC with a analog option card.

Another affordable processor is the XBM-DR16S. It has 16 onboard IO and you can add up to 7 IO modules. Factorymation does not stock this model, but you can find it online from other suppliers.

Edit: Factorymation has a nice series of tutorials here.
Thanks for the tips. So many options and with being newb to it all tough to figure out what is best. If I may pick your brain on narrow down the cheapest option with the features I would need for training on 2 and 3 pump domestic water booster pump systems which typically will have outputs for the 3 pumps, inputs for switches and indicator lights but also 2 or 3 analog inputs used to control: low suction shut down / call pressure / pressure set pump / high pressure shut down. Also the ability to use vfd's to ramp pumps up slowly in the system and finally the ability to communicate remotely with the system... not to mention with free programming software (?) I made the mistake of buying a plc with no analog options because it was cheap and the software was free. I'm using that to learn the basics but I know I want to eventually move up to a simulator that allows me to cover every aspect of building maint/plumbing etc.
thanks

I've only run across one LSIS PLC in the wild.

Automation Direct Click and Click Plus PLCs are becoming popular and the software is free. We've probably installed 100 Click Plus PLCs in the water and wastewater industry in the last 3 years. Click hardware cost is similar to your LS.

You will want to learn Allen-Bradley if you are in the United States too. Even though the only line that still supports RSLogix500 that is still being made is the Micrologix 1400, there are thousands of SLC and Micrologix installations still out there running that can be programmed with that software.

There are many things that are common between most makes of PLCs like understanding how I/O is processed and the PLC scan cycle as well as number systems and they are dealt with in PLCs, but much of your skills will be developed learning an insanely large amount of vendor specific software and hardware information.

Automation Direct Click and Click Plus PLCs are becoming popular and the software is free. We've probably installed 100 Click Plus PLCs in the water and wastewater industry in the last 3 years. Click hardware cost is similar to your LS.

You will want to learn Allen-Bradley if you are in the United States too. Even though the only line that still supports RSLogix500 that is still being made is the Micrologix 1400, there are thousands of SLC and Micrologix installations still out there running that can be programmed with that software.

There are many things that are common between most makes of PLCs like understanding how I/O is processed and the PLC scan cycle as well as number systems and they are dealt with in PLCs, but much of your skills will be developed learning an insanely large amount of vendor specific software and hardware information.
These Click Plus plc's seem to be fairly cheap for building a simulator. As far as simulators go is there a cheap method/parts/source prefered when building analog demo?

Thanks! Do you know if there is any published materials with a plumbing centric point of you explaining PLC programming and the types of progams one might expect to see in the field ie: logics for pump down stations, storm pit pumping, domestic water booster pumps to include VFD controlled staged 2 and 3 pump systems and associated logic for maintaining water pressure etc? I feel like to help me stay interested and curious it might help if I'm learning from the plumbing trade perspective.
Thanks!

I have seen some approaches to teaching basic electrical to brand new techs using plumbing analogies (pressure = volts, flow = current), but haven't seen that approach used with PLCs.

There are examples on this forum of some programs written to monitor tanks and control pumps and other things water industry related. There are also examples of pump lead/lag with alternation and Modbus control of various VFDs where each mfg is a little different.