PLCS.NET PLC Simulator

dahnuguy

Showing a new guy basic programming and remembered the simulator here.
But nothing happens when selecting the link. "Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE. Click here now to try it."
Looks like it requires flash and flash is no longer supported?
Is there some other thing I need to do to get the simulator to work?
I tried using ruffle a flash emulator with no success. Ruffle - Flash Emulator

Download TwinCAT to your laptop. The PLC runtime is free. It's not a simulator. It's the real PLC runtime and software that runs on a real Beckhoff PLC, and you can code and run it live on your laptop or desktop. Is there a few minutes of getting acquainted and a learning curve before you can actually get into it? Yes. But it's worth a few minutes of brain strain. Stop fiddling around with online simulators that are so limited.

Last edited:
Specifically, TwinCAT 3. TC3 has unlimited 7-day trial activation. TC2 only gives you a 30day trial after install (but, you can just uninstall and reinstall to reset that 30days)

To get TC3 able to switch to Run you may have to execute a batch file in the TC3 install folder. If this is a 64bit version of windows (and maybe 32bit too) TwinCAT requires Virtualization support enabled in your PC/Laptop BIOS. VT-d, Hardware Virtualization, etc.

You will not get particularly stable jitter and your Realtime latency may be on the order of ms instead of µs, though you can get latency down significantly if you utilize core isolation, and even better if you disable hyper-threading along with core isolation. But regardless of all those extra steps, out of the box should be enough to play around with PLC code.

Beckhoff TwinCAT 3 (InfoSys) - All the published help and documentation. (I recommend using google or your favorite search engine to directly search the infosys) just tack on a "site:infosys.beckhoff.com" to the end of your keywords in a search box.

Regards,
Patrick

Download TwinCAT to your laptop. The PLC runtime is free. It's not a simulator. It's the real PLC runtime and software that runs on a real Beckhoff PLC, and you can code and run it live on your laptop or desktop. Is there a few minutes of getting acquainted and a learning curve before you can actually get into it? Yes. But it's worth a few minutes of brain strain. Stop fiddling around with online simulators that are so limited.
Doesn't make sense to confuse a new person with beckoff when they will be using tia portal.
Just wanted something simple he could use at home in a browser with zero perceived risk to the process.

The browser sim is good enough to illustrate simple motor start stop and time delay, compare, latch reset etc.
Learning curve is about 30 seconds with no download and nothing to change and works on any pc anywhere with no log in etc.

"Stop fiddling around with online simulators that are so limited." really?

Specifically, TwinCAT 3. TC3 has unlimited 7-day trial activation. TC2 only gives you a 30day trial after install (but, you can just uninstall and reinstall to reset that 30days)

To get TC3 able to switch to Run you may have to execute a batch file in the TC3 install folder. If this is a 64bit version of windows (and maybe 32bit too) TwinCAT requires Virtualization support enabled in your PC/Laptop BIOS. VT-d, Hardware Virtualization, etc.

You will not get particularly stable jitter and your Realtime latency may be on the order of ms instead of µs, though you can get latency down significantly if you utilize core isolation, and even better if you disable hyper-threading along with core isolation. But regardless of all those extra steps, out of the box should be enough to play around with PLC code.

Beckhoff TwinCAT 3 (InfoSys) - All the published help and documentation. (I recommend using google or your favorite search engine to directly search the infosys) just tack on a "site:infosys.beckhoff.com" to the end of your keywords in a search box.

Regards,
Patrick

thanks , was looking for simple browser sim to illustrate a few simple lines of code real quick and somethign he could play with at home.

Doesn't make sense to confuse a new person with beckoff when they will be using tia portal.
Just wanted something simple he could use at home in a browser with zero perceived risk to the process.

The browser sim is good enough to illustrate simple motor start stop and time delay, compare, latch reset etc.
Learning curve is about 30 seconds with no download and nothing to change and works on any pc anywhere with no log in etc.

"Stop fiddling around with online simulators that are so limited." really?

"Doesn't make sense to confuse a new person with Beckhoff when they will be using TIA Portal"

If that's your logic (no pun intended), then why are you "confusing" a new person with an online simulator and not using TIA Portal instead? :unsure:

What "doesn't make sense" to me is people continuously choosing inferior, clunky, limited online simulators (and the like) to teach with, when there are real industry-use PLC software available for free just the same. These online simulators that likely require the same amount of time and learning curve to really dive in and get going that real PLC software takes, yet are very limited in scope and functionality. So why not teach and learn with real PLC software that's used in real industry?!? I would tend to believe that anyone is serious about learning it, they'd want real PLC software if it were available. The platform (Beckhoff) makes no difference. Ladder logic is ladder logic. It's all the same! Besides that, with TwinCAT your student can get his/her hands dirty with Ladder logic, Structured text, Function block, etc, Is he/she going to get that with any online simulator out there? Don't sell your "student" short. Give them full-fledged PLC software to learn on. It's right there and it's free.

Cant you just use TIA Portal and Simulate in PLCSim - Add a Comfort panel for visuals and simulate that as well...... Or am i missing something ?

While we are on this topic can we get a list of plc brands that come with free programming?
I'm currently a beginner learning on Zelio Soft by Schneider which seems to do a lot capabilities.

All of Automation Direct's offerings except the older DL series which uses Directsoft include free programming software. There is a trial version of Directsoft that limits you to 100 "steps".

Their Productivity Suite for the P-Series PLCs has a built in simulator so you can test most things without hardware.

Their Do-More software for BRX and H2 series also has a free built in simulator that is quite powerful.

I actually used it on my laptop to test a migrated PLC program from a DL250-1 to a DoMore H2 and was able to map the simulated PLC serial port to my laptop USB to serial converter and plug it into the radio network and find out some of my octal to decimal conversions were incomplete and in error! It was nice to be able to do this without having to swap the PLC CPU so when it cratered, I just moved the serial cable back to the old DL250 and let it straighten out all the data while I fixed my code.

While we are on this topic can we get a list of plc brands that come with free programming?
I'm currently a beginner learning on Zelio Soft by Schneider which seems to do a lot capabilities.
Allen-Bradley has a couple of freebies:
  • CCW has a basic IDE that can program the Micro800 series PLCs. It has a Fisher-Price feel, but most of it works. I basic think it has a simulator.
  • RSLogix Micro Start Lite is a limited version of RSLogix 500 that can program MicroLogix actual 1100s and 1000s. Be careful though, it is so fast and so well done that any other IDE will seem nearly unusable. The is also a RSEmulate 500 freebie emulate most, but not all, of the functionality of the MicroLogix 1100s and 1000s. Getting these tools is obscure but doable; see here.
Physical PLCs (MicroLogix and Micro800) can be found on e.g. eBay for cheap (200-300USD or less).

Other freebies:
  • Automation Direct
    • Do-More programming, with simulator
    • Click programming, no simulator
    • DirectSoft programming, no simulator
  • Eaton something?
  • Horner Cscape; has a button that says "Start Simulation" but I have never tried it
  • Siemens LOGO!Soft, with simulator
  • Siemens TIA Portal has a time-limited trial license, IIRC, with simulator
  • Weintek EasyBuilder HMI programming, with simulator?
  • Mitsubishi Alpha Controller (FBD?), no simulator
  • Red Lion Crimson (HMI?) programming, IIRC it has a time-limited, re-startable license
  • SAIA PCD?
  • ZelioSoft, with simulator?

Cant you just use TIA Portal and Simulate in PLCSim - Add a Comfort panel for visuals and simulate that as well...... Or am i missing something ?
If it were installed that would be great.
If I owned the system it would be.
I don't.

"Doesn't make sense to confuse a new person with Beckhoff when they will be using TIA Portal"

If that's your logic (no pun intended), then why are you "confusing" a new person with an online simulator and not using TIA Portal instead? :unsure:

What "doesn't make sense" to me is people continuously choosing inferior, clunky, limited online simulators (and the like) to teach with, when there are real industry-use PLC software available for free just the same. These online simulators that likely require the same amount of time and learning curve to really dive in and get going that real PLC software takes, yet are very limited in scope and functionality. So why not teach and learn with real PLC software that's used in real industry?!? I would tend to believe that anyone is serious about learning it, they'd want real PLC software if it were available. The platform (Beckhoff) makes no difference. Ladder logic is ladder logic. It's all the same! Besides that, with TwinCAT your student can get his/her hands dirty with Ladder logic, Structured text, Function block, etc, Is he/she going to get that with any online simulator out there? Don't sell your "student" short. Give them full-fledged PLC software to learn on. It's right there and it's free.
The browser sim is intuitive and basic and good for illustrating simple logic ideas and concepts.
Better than me drawing logic on a white board.
If you can't understand the simplicity and utility of this, I can't help you.

Yes, I am aware that a person can download 8 gig of install files and take a short couple of hours to install TIA and then start trying to figure out how to use it so they can write a start stop motor control the next day.
or
Click the sim link and write the example in 10 minutes and move on with the discussion.
Literally faster than wring this response.

"Don't sell your "student" short. Give them full-fledged PLC software to learn on. It's right there and it's free."

Dude calm down, we have wireless access to several PLCs installed on actual machines that are just downstairs.
We have TIA v16,17 and 18 but no PLCsim installed.
However, I would rather not be clicking around in a production machine with a total noob who might decide to change some variable on a whim.
I also want to avoid the perception that we might have caused a stoppage just because we were looking at code when the machine stopped.