No connection between PLC-5 + 1785-KE and Prolinx Gateway

cts_user

Hello PLC Forum,

I have an AB PLC-5 with a 1785-KE (DH+ to serial) modul. The PLC-5 channel 0 is used for point-to-point connection to HMI. The 1785-KE module is now connected to a Siemens S5 CP. This is for data exchange to a control system and this worked without any problems for years. Now the Siemens S5 should disassembled and the connection should be replaced by an Prolinx Gateway to Modbus TCP Type 5201-MNET-DFCM.

The configuration of the 1785-KE is:
Protocol: Full Duplex
Error check: BCC
Parity: None
Embeded Responses: No
Dublicate Messages: Accept
Handshaking signals: Ignore
Diagnostic command: Execute
BaudRate: 9600
Loc/Rem Addr: Local
DH+ node: 04

Same settings (FullDuplex, BCC, no Parity, 9600Baudrate) in Prolinx Gateway. Prolinx Gateway Station ID is 7.
1785-KE should be Slave, Prolinx-Gateway Master.

Trying this for 3 days now and I have no connection between this two parts.
Do I need a message command in PLC-5 and if yes which one?

Is there anyone outside, wo can help?

Many thanks in advance

cts_user

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum !

You need to determine the DH+ node address of the PLC-5 controller itself.

We know that the old 1785-KE was DH+ address 4. The PLC-5 defaults to DH+ address 1, but it could be anything. Channel 1A is configured using DIP switches, but the other channels are configured in the PLC-5 configuration software.

In the 5201-MNET-DFCM, there will be two different serial addresses you will be concerned with.

The first is the address of the 5201-MNET-DFCM itself.

In the Prosoft configuration, this is called the "Local Station ID", and it's the address that the Prosoft device will use to describe itself whenever it sends out a message. You will find it in the DF1 Master Port Configuration.

You could use "4" for that address so that it matches the 1785-KE (which will pass through all messages for DH+ address 4 to the DF1 port). I am not 100% certain on that, but it makes sense.

The second is the target address of the PLC-5 controller on DH+.

In the Prosoft configuration, this goes into each Master Command Block. It is labeled "Node Address", and is described on Page 44 of the DFCM reference manual.

The 1785-KE will take the DF1 protocol packet addressed to "DF1 Node X" and will send it to DH+ network node X, which is the PLC-5 controller.

One method to determine the PLC-5 address is to use a computer with RSLinx Classic software to browse the network.

Connect a computer to the 1785-KE with a suitable cable (ideally a 1784-CP10, but any null modem cable will do) and set up an "RS-232 DF1 Devices" DF1 Full Duplex driver with the appropriate COM port number and the 9600 baud, BCC serial settings. The "Autoconfigure" button may not work; do not depend on it.

The important part is to set up the DF1 Full Duplex device with the Device Type = "1770-KF2/1785-KE/SCANPort". That will cause the RSLinx driver to browse for all the DH+ node numbers on the DH+ network.

Hi Ken,

many thanks for your fast reply.

The PLC-5 DH+ node address is 0, link ID 0 (see in RSLogix5 project channel 1A) and have seen over RS Linx as you described in last post.

In Prolinx Local Station ID is 7, and node is 4. But its a good idea to change to Local Stadion ID 4 and node 0, make sense. I will try this and keep you informed.

One question: What is on 1785-KE the local/remote DIP-Switch? Is it to choose Master/Slave?

Many thanks

It is unusual but not impossible to run a PLC-5 as Node 00 on the DH+ network. It is more common to make the PLC-5 Node 01.

I agree that it would be appropriate to set the 5201-MNET-DFCM module for Local Station ID = 4 and set its DF1 Master Command blocks up to use Node 00 as the slave Node Address.

The SW3-6 switch for "Local/Remote" should be in the Local position.

The "Remote" mode is for unusual multi-network bridging applications. Your application is an ordinary local DH+ network.

Hi,

I have changed PLC-5 node address to 1 for DH+. Also have changed in Prolinx the local Station ID to 4, and in DF1 Port 0 Command node address to 1, but same Problem.

The green LED for READY and ACTIVE on 1785-KE are always OFF (no flashing). Cable must be OK, because over RSLinx I can see DH+ node 1. When connecting the old cable from Siemens S5, ACTIVE is ON and READY is flashing. Cable to Siemens S5 is nearly the same as to Prosoft Gateway:
Old Siemens S5:
1785-KE 15pin ---------- Siemens S5 25pin
Pin 2 TXD --------------- Pin 3 RXD
Pin 3 RXD --------------- Pin 2 TXD
Pin 7+13 GND ---------- Pin 7 GND
Pin 4+5 bridged
Pin 6 + 8 + 11 bridged

New to Prolinx Gateway:
1785-KE 15pin ---------- Prolinx Gateway 9pin
Pin 2 TXD --------------- Pin 2 RXD
Pin 3 RXD --------------- Pin 3 TXD
Pin 7+13 GND ---------- Pin 5 GND
Pin 4+5 bridged --------- Pin 7 + 8 bridged
Pin 6 + 8 + 11 bridged

Question is, do I need MSG instructions in PLC-5 to send data from PLC-5 over DH+ to 1785-KE? Who is Master and Slave? Set up both on Prolinx Gateway but nothing happens.

Best regards
cts_user

do I need MSG instructions in PLC-5 to send data from PLC-5 over DH+ to 1785-KE

You do not. The 1785-KE is a "peer" and can initiate both read and write commands to the PLC-5 controller on the DH+ network.

Strictly speaking there are no "master" or "slave" devices in these networks, only "peers".

While sometimes documentation refers to the device that is initiating a communications event as the "Master", DH+ and DF1 Full Duplex and ModbusTCP are all really peer-to-peer protocols.

If you can post the Prosoft Configuration Builder project file (ZIP it first) then folks may be able to take a look at it.

Do you have any documentation on exactly which command codes or memory addresses are being used by the S5 controller ?

Hi,

Prosoft file is attached. In this file I used 6 as Local Station ID, but also have tried with 4. Also have set up more DF1 Port 0 Commands and set 1 and 4 as the node address.
Thought that something is with the Baudrate, so set it down to 2400 in 1785-KE and in Prosoft file.

S5 Controller documentation is following soon.

Thanks
cts_user