Non AB motors with 1394C-SJT22-D sercos drives?

steveb1475

Hi all,
I'm going to be upgrading a controllogix machine from a SEW servo system to an AB Sercos system and would preffer to not change the six axis motors out to AB. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any problem run in to?

Thanks,
Steve

I believe this discussion should be had with A-B.

You can do it, but it used to require them to create a motor profile for you (& sometimes it is very difficult to provide them with the motivation to help with this. My experience is that this requires a motivated local distributor to help with this task). I was thinking that this is supposed to be easier with the version 15 firmware (look in the latest notes for V15, I think). The next major issue is the feedback device. If it is just a quadrature encoder it should be fairly easy. If it is a absolute feedback device then you may need to also change that out to something your servo drive will recognize.

Sorry, not much help.

Darren

I guess I should have been more clear on this.

In the past when I have needed to use explosion proof servos on some of our jobs we had to get with A-B to get a motor profile developed. If it is one they have not done before they will want one of your servos.

If your local reseller has a good motion person they will know that there is a form for you to fill out to inquire if it is possible with the type servo technology and feedback device you have on your existing servo to use with the A-B servo drive you have selected. If it is possible then you will need to submit a servo (or servos, if different for each axis) for them to develop a motor profile. Sometimes you get lucky and this is allready developed for you.

If you are an integrator it may cost you some money, unless you are converting a customer to A-B, but most likely they will want to convert to an equivalent servo.

Darren

Thanks again for the reply. Your first reply sounded like you didn't know for sure. It sounds like I'll have to get with our local AB distributor, but I'm not sure how much help they are going to be.
Thanks again,
Steve