Non contact length measurement

allscott

I am looking for a non contact lengh measurement system similar to the laser speed 4000.

Is anyone using another manufacturer? What's a ballpark price on one of these units?

Thanks.

Not quite what I am looking for, that measures distance, I want to measure the length of a product as it passes by.

I guess I should have explained myself better. What I am trying to to is measure the length of wire cable as it is being made. The cable would pass by the laser and produce an output similar to an encoder.

I am trying to get rid of the maintenance/calibration nightmare of a wheel and encoder.

This is the unit I found during my search.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/...nd-speed-measurement-system-18002-338330.html

I'm wondering what else is out there and how much they are worth.

Sorry about that. You could use a Cognex camera to measure your product ,and also the texture to pass or fail a product.
The problem with that is it is $4,200 ea.

I don't think that would work. The product is cable (like electrical cable). The lengths are up to 45000 meters.

Beta has one, but I'd never recommend that unit. I think Zumbach has a unit they call the LADAC, but I haven't used one in a long time.
Honestly, the Laser units were all more of a pain then they seemed to be worth, and very annoying to keep set up properly.

How about a regular capstan type counter?
http://www.taymer.com/html/wire___cable_length_measuremen.html

Thats surprising, I didn't think there would be much more to do then just point them at the cable, and our cable is pretty big (smallest is a #6).

We have lots of capstan type counters and some just simply wheels riding on the cable. And of course there is maintenance to do on them, the wheels start to wear, bearings, etc...

How do you calibrate yours btw? That is my other dilema.

Can you do it by weight?

Not really. We play tricks, within spec, that make weight hard to correlate to length. 1000M of #1 600V copper is supposed to weigh X, +/- 5%. Our goal is to make it at -4.5%. That might not sound good but it's business, as long as our cable is in spec our customers have no reason to complain.

We also want accurate lengths on our reels. The last thing we want to do is sell a customer 990M of 1000MCM 45KV cable and tell them it's 1000M, you can imagine the disasters that would cause.

We have mechanical wheel driven tallies right now, they are a maintenance as well as a calibration PITA. I am looking for something better.

Thanks for the replies.